Premiere Guitar reviews the D-150

poser

Reaction score
Interesting reviews. I'm surprised that the Martin with the laminate neck and the fretboard which is not solid wood got such a good rating.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
poser said:
Interesting reviews. I'm surprised that the Martin with the laminate neck and the fretboard which is not solid wood got such a good rating.

Why? Laminate does not always have to mean cheap, unattractive and flimsy. For some applications a laminate is actually stronger than a solid piece of the same material.

poser

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
poser said:

Why? Laminate does not always have to mean cheap, unattractive and flimsy. For some applications a laminate is actually stronger than a solid piece of the same material.

Just narrow thinking on my part, I guess. :D

And in another thread I was extolling the sound of my laminate back D-26. Not only am I narrow, I'm self-contradictory. :lol:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
poser said:
fronobulax said:
poser said:

And in another thread I was extolling the sound of my laminate back D-26. Not only am I narrow, I'm self-contradictory. :lol:

One thing I've noticed: Martin can make a good-sounding guitar out of almost anything.

Dave :D

Stirlander

BANNED - Spammer
Reaction score
dapmdave said:
One thing I've noticed: Martin can make a good-sounding guitar out of almost anything.

I don't agree with that lol. I went and played their Sapele dread that costs $699, slightly more than my GAD-25 just to compare the two. There was no comparison. I've played two of that same model. Neither sounded very good. One was really tinny and the other, really muddy on the low end.

I'm not a fan of Martins lower-grade guitars at all. Although, I have played a fair few that were pretty good.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
poser said:
Interesting reviews. I'm surprised that the Martin with the laminate neck
and the fretboard which is not solid wood got such a good rating.

I got a sweet deal on an old Epiphone Texan the other day.. mid 70s all laminate, I have no idea how this thing can sound so good. Almost sounds like a nice Guild.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Stirlander said:
dapmdave said:

I don't agree with that lol. I went and played their Sapele dread that costs $699, slightly more than my GAD-25 just to compare the two. There was no comparison. I've played two of that same model. Neither sounded very good. One was really tinny and the other, really muddy on the low end.

I'm not a fan of Martins lower-grade guitars at all. Although, I have played a fair few that were pretty good.

Well... I said they "can" make one, not that they always do. :lol: I played some kind of "high pressure laminate" thing, and I thought it sounded pretty good, considering. Not that I'd want to own one...

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What can I say?.....this will be my 'beater' guitar, although it is only separated from looking new by maybe 3 little dings....amazing sound though....model FT145 blue label Norlin period..made in Japan. it has that adjustable saddle, but its set so its resting on the bottom of the bridge slot, so good contact...no loss of tone at all.. to my ears..Steffan

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
poser said:
fronobulax said:
poser said:

No problem. I am often guilty of narrow thinking and I have decided that the prejudices we are not aware of are the most harmful ones. I wasn't trying to put you on the spot - just wondering if there was something I had missed.

kyguild

Reaction score
Interesting reviews. I'm surprised that the Martin with the laminate neck and the fretboard which is not solid wood got such a good rating.[/quote]

Why? Laminate does not always have to mean cheap, unattractive and flimsy. For some applications a laminate is actually stronger than a solid piece of the same material.[/quote]

And in another thread I was extolling the sound of my laminate back D-26. Not only am I narrow, I'm self-contradictory. :lol:[/quote]

No problem. I am often guilty of narrow thinking and I have decided that the prejudices we are not aware of are the most harmful ones. I wasn't trying to put you on the spot - just wondering if there was something I had missed.[/quote]

I bought my daughter a Martin D-1GT earlier this year, and I am really impressed with the tone and quality of the guitar. Martin put their money where it counted, ie, on solid tonewoods for the top, back and sides, and used alternative materials for the bridge, fingerboard, and neck. The fingerboard looks and feels surprisingly like ebony, IMO, and the stratabond neck, while not my favorite feature of the guitar, looks to be strong and stable, and the look is starting to grow on me. I like the fact that it is made in the Nazareth factory, too.

KY

guitarjamman

Reaction score
Not to veer this thread too much but Martin in general does not sit too well with me...

I have played a few high end martins that at the end of the day, left me unimpressed. Were the strings dead? Maybe, was it just a bad day they were assembled on? Maybe. They seem to sound like a wet rag was drapped over the strings, almost muting the clarity of the guitar. For blues, this is a perfect tone but for my style of fingerpicking, they left me wanting more. IMHO, martin focuses on a well balanced guitar with too much emphasis on the mid's.

On the other hand, I used to play Taylors because of the brightness that came standard on all the guitars. There was a much more focused sound on the higher note register and the bass accompanied nicely. A little run on the G,B,E strings with thumbing bass was crystal clear; then one fateful day I played a Guild and was completely hooked.....

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I will get away from the OP's topic even more.
I have played many, many new guitars over the years. All brands and all sizes.
Very few imports impressed me. That was until recently.

The new imports like Eastman and Guild are great guitars.
Even makers like Recording King and Blueridge are making quality sounding and built guitars.

I have always liked Taylor guitars but to me, they all sound like a Taylor guitar.
Now Martin on the other hand has a much wider variety in their guitars voices.
I could buy a Taylor unseen but I could never do that with a Martin.

As my screen name implies, I own a Taylor, a Martin and a Guild. All of them were hand picked and I love all of them.
I owned a Recording King, a Blueridge and a Guild GAD that are no longer with me.
Why?
They never bonded with me. They didn't wind up sounding the way that I wanted them to sound.

So what is my point?
I'm not a brand snob and I can appreciate a good guitar, no mater who makes it.
The lower end Martins that I have played sounded very good to me.
Even the all composite guitars.
I have even played some Gibson acoustic guitars that I liked but not enough to shell out what they want for one.

We are living in a great time to be guitar players. There are so many great guitars being built these days that there is a good one for every style and price range.
I just wish it could have been that way when I started to play.
Enjoy,
TMG.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Taylor Martin Guild said:
They never bonded with me. They didn't wind up sounding the way that I wanted them to sound.
:lol: :lol: I just love the way you've shifted the responsibility onto the guitar!! Made me laugh.....