Anyone know the music scene in Montreal?

john_kidder

Reaction score
Not all n French by a long shot. And alive and happening, best in Canada. Go next month during the Jazz Festival, the entire city is pulsing, music everywhere.

I don't know any players there any more ( used to know lots when I was with Roland in the 80s), but Montreal is happening all the time. Stop in at Steve's Music and and ask where the players are hanging out.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
If you're inquiring about busking...the rules have changed since I played there.

Auditions/permits now required for the Metro.

Old Port had the same rules previously.

Street used to be ok.

But best to check as you wouldn't want a run-in with the local Constable, as you're a visitor.

And, if you're good...language not usually an issue...I sang in English during a referendum and no one threw vegetables at me...did receive a hot Montreal bagel and bowl of poutine in the tip case, though. :lol:

About half of the population is neither native English nor French speaking.

Talking with the hands is acceptable. :mrgreen:

Lovely, vibrant, friendly city.

Steve's Music has expanded...and is bilingual.

Just skip the politics...you're a guest. :wink:

Thank you. Merci.

dougdnh

Reaction score
I live a few hours away, and visit frequently. Montreal is a great city, with a fair amount of live music - rock, jazz, world, etc. The city is bi-lingual, and both English and French bands are common. The 'Hour' http://hour.ca/section/music/
is a good online site for getting a feel for the music scene in Montreal. The Montreal Jazz Fest is the largest in the world, and is going on now thru early July.