Harry Chapin..storyteller extrordinaire

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMz2EyNvdfg
The mayor of Candor lied...and the lyrics are there too...man, that guy could paint a picture, make you laugh, cry, or tug at your heartstrings with his words, and wisdom....wish there were a lot more like him, but there was only ever one...RIP Harry, we miss you 39 years was barely a "hello"...Steffan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mCQl2CW ... ure=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US82GS9P ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KcbbzsR ... re=related
I like that that last clip has a picture of Harry with a Guild, and few shots later he is also in a pic with John Denver..

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
We saw him three times in his last few years, great concerts. Too soon gone :(

Geo

Reaction score
He was one of the best song writers ever. :wink:

George

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Geo said:

George

+1. Used to sit for hours totally mesmerized by his music. Still have our Chapin vinyl collection. Now if I just had a turntable!

We saw him in the mid 70s in St. Louis. Some unknown artist by name of Billy Joel opened for him... Harry left us much too early...

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Scratch said:
Geo said:

George

+1. Used to sit for hours totally mesmerized by his music. Still have our Chapin vinyl collection. Now if I just had a turntable!

We saw him in the mid 70s in St. Louis. Some unknown artist by name of Billy Joel opened for him... Harry left us much too early...

I can send you one, if they are that hard to come by for you Ken....Steffan
Oh by the way...now you can buy a turntable that will digitize your music, so you can put your records on ipods/computers, etc.....

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Gotta get me one of those new-fangled turntables and digitize my vinyl collection!

I bought a Harry Chapin guitar/songbook at the last concert where we saw him. My favorite song to do is "Circle."

I love the song "Taxi" but I can only do it when my high-voiced partner Terry sings it because he can actually sing the falsetto part :D

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
taabru45 said:
Scratch said:
Geo said:

George

I can send you one, if they are that hard to come by for you Ken....Steffan
Oh by the way...now you can buy a turntable that will digitize your music, so you can put your records on ipods/computers, etc.....

Thanks Steffan. :wink:

I know they're out there; I just need to get one and threads like this one give me the incentive. We've got a great vinyl collection and I need to go the next step...

Thanks again for the great thread... :D

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I was thinking I could find one with an old stogie maybe Cuban stuck in the works. :lol: Steffan

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
taabru45 said:
I was thinking I could find one with an old stogie maybe Cuban stuck in the works. :lol: Steffan

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A friend and I went to the shooting range a couple of weeks ago and he surprised me between targets by popping out a couple of Cubans. I just kinda raised an eyebrow; and before I could say anything, Paul says " "Don't ask'.

I didn't; we lit up; and life sure was sweet that day... :roll: :lol:

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
taabru45 said:
...that last clip has a picture of Harry with a Guild, and few shots later he is also in a pic with John Denver..
Gordon Lightfoot, James Taylor, Harry Chapin, and John Denver. I have no memory of ever seeing them together in a photo...outstanding!

Lightfoot_Taylor_Chapin_Denver.png

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, amazing amount of talent in that photo :shock:

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
dreadnut said:
Gotta get me one of those new-fangled turntables and digitize my vinyl collection!

I bought a Harry Chapin guitar/songbook at the last concert where we saw him. My favorite song to do is "Circle."

I love the song "Taxi" but I can only do it when my high-voiced partner Terry sings it because he can actually sing the falsetto part :D

I have one of the new turntables.
The problem with it is that I wore out too many of my albums. They can't be reproduced without skipping and scratching like crazy.
Back in those days I would pick up the needle and replay a song over and over while I was learning to play it.
It took it's toll on my pour albums.

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Taylor Martin Guild said:
dreadnut said:

I have one of the new turntables.
The problem with it is that I wore out too many of my albums. They can't be reproduced without skipping and scratching like crazy.
Back in those days I would pick up the needle and replay a song over and over while I was learning to play it.
It took it's toll on my pour albums.

If you had it to do over, what turntable would you have purchased to preclude that from happening?

learnintoplay62

Reaction score
Thanks Steffan. What a great trip I just took on the tube. Loved his story telling . I think he was unique and he left us to early of course.
Hey Ken, I have a Bang and Olfsen (sp) turntable that I havent used in years. It was top of the line when I bought it. The thing would still play without skipping when you turned it on its side. Pm me if your interested.

stevem5000

Reaction score
I've got a little story about Harry...
I think my wife and I have been to every concert he ever did in St Louis...probably 5-7 times...

One time he did a concert in the gym at St Louis University...after the concert he greeted fans in the hallway by the entrance doors...he was promoting one of his causes, World Hunger...but to raise money for this particular cause he was selling a book of poetry he had written...

One of the songs he did was Flowers Are Red...my wife, being an art teacher was struck by the song...
So after the concert she wanted to thank Harry for the song...she talked with him, bought his book of poetry, Harry autographed it and he gave her a kiss...(on the cheek..:>)...I don't think her feet touched the ground the rest of the night...!!!

Now...30 years later...our daughter has grown up, found my wife's book of Harry's poetry...was reading it and subsequently got into Harrys music...this is a good thing...

A couple years ago, there was a concert here in St Louis by Tom and Steve Chapin, Harry's daughter, Jen and most of the members of his band, including Big John Wallace, the bass player...the guy with the 5 octave range...wow...!!!...this was to honor Harry's music...Tom told me after the concert that they do
these in selected cities every few years or so...

My wife had a scheduling conflict, so my daughter and I went to the concert, ...Dear daughter snuck Harrys poetry book out of the house...and after the concert got all of the members to autograph the book...

While we were waiting for the band to come out...Big John's son, also in the band, was in the lobby, and I got to talking with him...told him we had Harry's poetry book and I wanted Big John to sign it, if possible...
He took the book backstage to his dad...and after about a half hour or so, I kinda figured we lost the book...

Then John came out, his son introduced us and John and I had a lovely conversation about the book...
According to John...there were no copies of the book left...he had not seen one for 25-30 years...so he was reading it backstage...therefore the half hour or so...

Visited with both Tom and Steve...and they also commented they had not seen the book for many years...

We left the venue about an hour later...visited with just about everyone in the band...EVERYONE signed the book...some left notes...Jen offered to buy it from us...:>)

Daughter and I got home...wife was there..."How was the concert...???"....and we presented her with the
book autographed by everyone...

She loved it, loved it, loved it...!!!

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oh Steve, what a wonderful wonderful experience that was...I think you must find a way to get that book reproduced somehow, and give all those deserving people who are keeping Harry alive a copy.....I believe the Presidents council or some such is still supporting Harrys' cause......which to me means he is still doing good work and has outperformed many of the politicians and charities out there as well as having been the kind compassionate humorous humble decicateded musician friend husband and father he was....just look at the effect he had on John and the others as well as you, me and countless others, Harry Chapin was an extraordinary man and human being that we could all pay attention to and appreciate.....thanks so much for sharing your story, you and your family sound a little extraordinary too.... :D Steffan

stevem5000

Reaction score
Steffan...
Having someone calling my family a "little extraordinary" is the highest compliment I can think of...
Thank You...!!! :D