A sitting Ovation

griehund

Reaction score
Turns out he's a friend of one of our recent adopters. Just found out about him Saturday. They said he saw the double neck in a store and felt drawn to it. Bought it on the spot with no doubt or need for justification. Couldn't read the logo but it looks like it's got to be an Ovation.

6L6

Reaction score
Serious talent there!

I have to say that my all-time favorite guitar neck is the one on my '90 Ovation Model 1869 Custom Legend (Super Shallow Bowl design). It just fits my hand perfectly and makes playing a breeze.

When unplugged, the guitar sounds poor at best. But plugged in with my BOSS DM-2 Analog Delay > BOSS CH-1 Super Chorus > Fender tube amp, it sounds incredible.

Think Simon & Garfunkle "Concert in Central Park" from 1981. At that concert Paul plugged his Custom Legend into a BOSS DM-2 Analog Delay and then straight into a mic'd Roland JC-120 with the Chorus turned on.

Here's some pics:

IMG_0359.jpg

Beautiful inlay work and carved bridge by the factory:
IMG_0360.jpg

This one ain't goin' nowhere.

Bill

'06 D-55
'06 F-412
'76 F-50SB
'74 D-40

Ravon

Reaction score
That thing is gorgeous Bill. I've got an Elite model but that's the best looking Ovation right there. I bet it plays like buttuh

6L6

Reaction score
Ravon: Yes, it plays effortlessly. However, that wasn't the case when I bought it off eBay for just $500!

It needed a neck reset so I took it to Gryphon in Palo Alto, CA. There the legendary Frank Ford took a look and said he'd never done a neck reset on an Ovation before and he'd like to give it a try. Well, it came back in PERFECT shape (something Frank is well known for around the world). He told me it was a bit of a challenge but a lot of fun to do the job. The charge was $400 for the neck reset.

SO... for under $1K I have a perfect Ovation Custom Legend that I love to play when plugged in.

The only mod I've done is to put on one of those little "No slip" patches made for these guitars (available cheap on eBay). No more problems with it sliding off my leg while playing.

It's a keeper!

Bill

PEZmusic

Reaction score
Custom Legend are cool ..... The abalone design was first done for a guitar that Linda McCartney was giving Sir Paul as a gift.

griehund

Reaction score
Tonight at the Johnny Clegg concert the lead guitarist also used a neat little Ovation mandolin. :)

6L6

Reaction score
Custom Legend are cool ..... The abalone design was first done for a guitar that Linda McCartney was giving Sir Paul as a gift.

Good info, PEZ. I didn't know that!

Bill

6L6

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments on my Ovation CL, guys!

An interesting story...

Every week I play at the Thursday night Open Mic in Half Moon Bay, CA at Cameron's Pub & Inn. It's a WONDERFUL place to play:

IMG_0322.jpg

Anyway, they have a blacklight over the stage and when it shines on my black Ovation, it turns it into a beautiful shade of emerald green. You have to see it to believe it!

SO... one Thursday night a bunch of Ovation Club guys descended upon Cameron's (including former Ovation CEO Bill Kaman) and when they saw my "Emerald Green" Ovation CL a couple of them thought it was one of only a handful actually made in that color. It created quite a buzz until I told them it was just the effect of the backlight. LOL!

The Cameron's Open Mic is held every Thursday night from 8:00PM until everyone has had a chance to play. 3 Songs or 15 minutes, whichever comes first. Great food too! Come by and check it out if you're in the area.

IMG_0362.jpg

Bill