Storms & High Temps

ladytexan

Reaction score
Gosh, the storms were devasating enough - leaving so many without electricity. Now, the temperatures are going waaayyyyy beyond normal. Best wishes to fellow LTGers. Stay cool. Check-in (after the power returns) to let us know you're OK.

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
The storm blasted thru Annapolis about 1:00 am saturday morning. We lost power very briefly, less than 10 minutes I'd guess. The wind noise was very impressive. I've been thru a few hurricanes (a couple while living on a boat) and this had that same freight train like sound. Just a huge roar. The power came back on, we went back to sleep and did not relize the extent of the damage until late morning on Saturday. Lots of trees down in the area. A few boats in the marina where our cottage is located had some minor damage.

Estimates are 2.5 million people in the Virgina, D.C., Maryland, NJ area are still w/o power. With temps near 100 not a good thing.

Ravon

Reaction score
Glad your ok evenkeel and got your power back on. My condolences to those who lost so much.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
We survived in No. VA. No trees down in the yard. Power out for 16 hours. Internet out for 36 and still a bit flakey. Lots of traffic lights out. Interesting to see how many people observe the "four way stop" law for non-working lights and how many don't. Damage is being compared as second only to a hurricane.

poser

Reaction score
I watched the weather map as the worst part of the storm passed to the south of us. We just experienced some very dark skies, a cool wind and a short episode of light rain. I didn't realize how lucky we were until the next day.

I have friends and family in southern Ohio. I think they're OK.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Im in SE Ohio. All the trees around the house came through fine (I'm surrounded by oaks), but I'm still without power since Fri. evening. The worst part is that there has been no wind since then. I've been charging the iPad by driving around every now and then.

The Univ. where I teach got hit with massive trees toppled. One just missed the Fine Arts building which is my base. Power's still out there.

Just sittin' and swelterin' with my kitties.

Ravon

Reaction score
AcornHouse said:
Im in SE Ohio. All the trees around the house came through fine (I'm surrounded by oaks), but I'm still without power since Fri. evening. The worst part is that there has been no wind since then. I've been charging the iPad by driving around every now and then.

The Univ. where I teach got hit with massive trees toppled. One just missed the Fine Arts building which is my base. Power's still out there.

Just sittin' and swelterin' with my kitties.
Hang in there Chris! Hopefully the nights won't be too humid there

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just got power back, HURRAH!

Let's hope everyone else gets back as soon as possible, or sooner!

kyguild

Reaction score
AcornHouse said:
Just got power back, HURRAH!

Let's hope everyone else gets back as soon as possible, or sooner!

Good to see you back under power. I'm about 40-50 miles away from you as the crow flies, we got power back Monday evening around 8pm (72 hrs w/o power). Sure no fun...

kyguild

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I hear it's worse in WV because of the terrain. They have to contend with the mountains to get access to the problems.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
AcornHouse said:
I hear it's worse in WV because of the terrain. They have to contend with the mountains to get access to the problems.
Yep. Then there's the moonshiners.
:lol:

ladytexan

Reaction score
killdeer43 said:
With all due respect and empathy, I just spent 10 days off the grid and I did pretty well. :wink:

Perspective is....
Joe
No disrespect, Joe, but this a different situation. You chose to be in the outlander region of the world without the comforts we have all becomed accoustomed. These folks are not on vacation. They are dealing with a tradegy at their homes. This situation does require all due respect and empathy. Caring is more important than making a point. ::::softsmile:::::