Jumbo Guild ID

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't think I've posted this before, but I was rewatching Pete Townshend's Lifehouse concert DVD. He does an acoustic duet with his 2nd guitarist Phil Palmer. Pete is playing his signature J-200 (in other songs he uses his Guild F-412), but Palmer is playing a bling-d out Guild black jumbo.
http://youtu.be/SHe7eNrmV0o

Who can ID the model?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
AcornHouse said:
FNG said:
Maybe a black JF-100?
Finally found an older post about it (Townshend was mispelled so it didn't show in my original search!)

Hans thinks it's a JF-100, too.
http://letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=107626

Shame covering the rosewood like that. I'm a fan of letting the wood's natural beauty shine through.
Nice catch spotting the Guidl there! I doubt there were many JF-100s done in black. That's pretty neat, and a pretty rare beast. Gotta agree, though, the woods on the -100s were so gorgeous to begin with, why would you want to black 'em out!?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The inlays on the fretboard are those special shaped cloud abalone inlays that were used for instance on the D-80, D-100 and JF-100. So JF-100 makes a lot of sense.
Ralf

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The JF-100s are supposed to have carved neck heels. I'll have to rewatch the DVD to see if I can catch that.

CA-35

Reaction score
Not a big black guitar fan however...Palmer's Guild sure is sweet.

Oh yeah, that guy on the other guitar sure can play. :lol: 8) :p

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
AcornHouse said:
The JF-100s are supposed to have carved neck heels. I'll have to rewatch the DVD to see if I can catch that.
I think that was actually an option that made 'em JF100"C"'s. But yeah as far as I've ever seen it was only offered on those and D100's.
As for covering the rosewood in black, I always remember something our beloved member Hideglue said once: "Black guitars weren't made, they happened" :lol:
Of course that does make one wonder what could have "happened" to a JF100, considering the care I think they would have been excercising with it as it went down the line....
another common explanation is that black (and bursts) conceal cosmetic flaws in the wood itself, although these days what used to be seen as flaws, like "bearclaw", is becoming desirable and fashionable.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
AcornHouse said:
As Al mentioned, the "C" suffix designates the carved heel, and I do believe it was offered on the all the 100s.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
adorshki said:
AcornHouse said:
I think that was actually an option that made 'em JF100"C"'s. But yeah as far as I've ever seen it was only offered on those and D100's.
As for covering the rosewood in black, I always remember something our beloved member Hideglue said once: "Black guitars weren't made, they happened" :lol:
Of course that does make one wonder what could have "happened" to a JF100, considering the care I think they would have been excercising with it as it went down the line....
another common explanation is that black (and bursts) conceal cosmetic flaws in the wood itself, although these days what used to be seen as flaws, like "bearclaw", is becoming desirable and fashionable.

Of course it's always possible that someone actually wanted a black JF-100 with the carved heel, and ordered it that way. And I think I've seen the carved heel option indicated on the label as "CRV". "C" usually indicates a cutaway.

But we all know how consistent Guild was in the area of model designations on the labels, right? :lol:

Dave :D

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
dapmdave said:
Of course it's always possible that someone actually wanted a black JF-100 with the carved heel, and ordered it that way.
Oh yeah, forgot about that... :lol:
In fact, now that you mention it, there was a time when black was quite fashionable, it was literally the new black.

:lol:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
dapmdave said:
And I think I've seen the carved heel option indicated on the label as "CRV". "C" usually indicates a cutaway.
But we all know how consistent Guild was in the area of model designations on the labels, right? :lol:
Dave, at least on the D100 models Hans had previously stated: "the 'CRV' suffix after the model designation means the same as the 'C' suffix."
There were labels with "JF100-NT CRV" but also with "D100" only, but both had the carved heel.
(see discussion here on page 2 and 3: http://letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... =5&t=14257 )
Ralf

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
SFIV1967 said:
There were labels with "JF100-NT CRV" but also with "D100" only, but all had the carved heel.

That would only be true for later models. The earlier models with the 'D-100' model designation on the label didn't have the 'carved' heel.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
hansmoust said:
SFIV1967 said:
There were labels with "JF100-NT CRV" but also with "D100" only, but all had the carved heel.

That would only be true for later models. The earlier models with the 'D-100' model designation on the label didn't have the 'carved' heel.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
http://www.guitarsgalore.nl

Thanks for the info, Hans. Your understanding of the murky details of Guild's model designation scheme is amazing.