New Guilds @ Chicago Music Exchange

ladytexan

Reaction score
Chi Town is well-stocked! Yippee! Quite a wide range of available Guilds. I've not been there, but this is my kinda music store. Keyword: options!

Thanks for posting, frettedstrings! :) What Guilds did you demo? Reviews?

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ladytexan said:
Chi Town is well-stocked! Yippee! Quite a wide range of available Guilds.

Most of the NH models are marked as "Sold Out"? And a '74 D50 for three grand?

Dave :D

tjmangum

Reaction score
ladytexan said:
Chi Town is well-stocked! Yippee! Quite a wide range of available Guilds. I've not been there, but this is my kinda music store. Keyword: options!

Thanks for posting, frettedstrings! :) What Guilds did you demo? Reviews?
This is a beautiful guitar store, with prices to match. I've been there several times. Always a great selection of new and vintage. Lot's of couches to sit on and play to your hearts content. Hanging high on the wall is a D'Angelico they have been asking 50K for.
T

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I only know CME from what they post online. I suspect that there are two or three posters here (myself included) who could write better or more nuanced descriptions of the Guild basses they offer. They hold the record for the highest asking price I have ever seen for a Starfire bass so I would expect prices to be high.

That said, I acknowledge their right to ask for whatever they want and note that their prices are not necessarily out of line when compared to the entire universe of guitars. For example, I do think $5000 for a 60's SF II in non-abused but age appropriate condition is outrageous. But then I saw 60's Fender basses selling for $15,000 and some new boutique basses going for $7,500 and all of a sudden a $5,000 Starfire looks like something that could be reasonable.

It's all a matter of perspective.

6L6

Reaction score
It is my understanding that the owner of CME was very successful with a startup company and cashed out. Guitars are a hobby to him as is the store.

Consider the place as his own private museum of sorts. Whether or not he actually sells anything is of little financial concern to him. That might help explain the high prices on things.

Bill

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
6L6 said:
It is my understanding that the owner of CME was very successful with a startup company and cashed out. Guitars are a hobby to him as is the store.

Consider the place as his own private museum of sorts. Whether or not he actually sells anything is of little financial concern to him. That might help explain the high prices on things.

Bill

I think I read something similar - one of the recent "guitars as investments" articles - investments being at least four figures and five and six being more likely.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
frettedstrings said:
Prices are way out of my budget ....

-frettedstrings

And the budget of 99% of the LTG posters, I'm sure. Just consider how many people moan and groan because they had to walk away from something that was $100 more than they could spend.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
dapmdave said:
Most of the NH models are marked as "Sold Out"?
Their entire webpage section for Guilds is just not updated correctly, they added the new GAD 100 series models but did not delete the old GAD series.
Basically what it means is that they would be able to order any Guild guitar if you want one, however the old discontinued models need to be deleted from their webpage first.
I get their monthly newsletter, their vault has amazing vintage guitars, but some in the >$25k figure... I have never been there yet however.
Ralf

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Chicago Music Exchange and I have a very sordid past together.

Like the time they refused to look at a Gibson that was under warranty even though they are an authorized Gibson service center. Or the time they held my S-100 for ransom. Or the time they had my friend stolen guitar on their sales floor, and when he tried to reclaim the guitar, it had mysteriously vanished. We found the case for the guitar in the dumpster. We suspect someone stole the guitar out of the dumpster before we found it.

I wouldn't do business with Chicago Music Exchange if they were the last source for Guilds on earth.