Some crazy rides.....strap your seatbelt on!

CA-35

Reaction score
Some pretty radical maneuvers with Ken Block in an all wheel drive Ford Fiesta with 650 HP and it does 0-60 in 1.8 seconds. His work with the emergency brake and locking the rear tires is key to his success. Watch it you'll like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LuDN2bCIyus

Some have compared it to the chase scene in "Bullitt", however other than the city, San Fransisco, they are night and day. You be the judge.

Here's the classic with Steve McQueen driving one of two 1968 390 V8 Ford Mustang fastbacks (325 hp) with four-speed manual transmissions that were used for the chase scene. The Dodge Charger could have easily outran the Mustang on an open straight away however the terrain of San Fransisco offers an equal playing field. The 1968 375 hp 440 Magnum Charger is driven by Bill Hickman, who was also the driver in a chase scene with Roy Scheider in "The Seven-Ups" as well the driver in a chase scene in "The French Connection". The music is awesome and the sounds of those cars well...........

http://youtu.be/b4mLNnxZM38

Enjoy.

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
Thanks for those vids, Scott! :D

Since ever, I always loved the old mustangs, but not the new ones.

And about Ken Block :shock: :shock: :shock:

Scratch (Ken), introduced me to him in this thread (your own thread), a while ago. Huge skills there, uhm? Wow! Great scenes, btw: lots of nice captions. And Travis is there, too? Pretty well done!

The closest I've been to these things have been in games like "Driver II", "Need for Speed" or... Well, you got the idea... :oops: :roll: :shock: :lol:

Thanks again!

All the best,
B.

CA-35

Reaction score
Scratch said:
I just love fast cars. Great videos... :D
I just love old classic movies with fast cars!! :D

Here's the scene from "The Seven Ups" Hickman driving a 1973 Pontiac Grand Ville http://youtu.be/9vACWV5sRcY

Bill Hickman died of cancer in 1986 at the age of 65, but he left us a legacy of films with some of the best examples of car control ever to be seen on the screen. In his day, he played a major role in terms of development and execution in three of the greatest movie car chase sequences of all time (The French Connection, Bullitt and The Seven Ups).

images
images

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Love Steve McQueen! ...used to have a giant poster of him from "The Great Escape" on my wall when I was a kid!

Great videos!

walrus

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Said on another board:

"Yeah, loser, this is my job! I get paid for this!" :mrgreen:

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That's crazy impressive......but what kind of gas mileage is he getting..... :shock: :lol: Steffan

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
taabru45 said:
That's crazy impressive......but what kind of gas mileage is he getting..... :shock: :lol: Steffan

Probably a bit less than the 28/38 found on most Ford Focus window stickers! :lol: :lol:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
walrus said:
Love Steve McQueen! ...used to have a giant poster of him from "The Great Escape" on my wall when I was a kid!
Great videos!
walrus
Steve was no slouch of a driver himself, and, IIRC, he actually spec'd the order sheet for those 'stangs for Bullit and dictated the cosmetic details like stripping of the chrome to get a "sleeper" look and the American Racing mags. 8)
(Think they had the notorious metallic brake pads on front discs too. No stopping power at all 'til they were good and hot.... :shock: Quite the surprise to many renters of the Hertz Shelby GT350's... :lol: )
Let's not forget who produced the movie "LeMans", either:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zhDKFhfEgg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klyb7K8S7L0
That Bullit Mustang, with a couple of little details like a roll cage and harness, could have easily qualified to run, in its class, right there on the same track at the same time as all them exotic factory prototypes.... 8) 8) 8)

Scratch

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
adorshki said:
walrus said:
Great videos!
walrus
Steve was no slouch of a driver himself, and, IIRC, he actually spec'd the order sheet for those 'stangs for Bullit and dictated the cosmetic details like stripping of the chrome to get a "sleeper" look and the American Racing mags. 8)
(Think they had the notorious metallic brake pads on front discs too. No stopping power at all 'til they were good and hot.... :shock: Quite the surprise to many renters of the Hertz Shelby GT350's... :lol: )
That Bullit Mustang, with a couple of little details like a roll cage and harness, could have easily qualified to run, in its class, right there on the same track at the same time as all them exotic factory prototypes.... 8) 8) 8)

Steve McQueen ranks high up on my top five all time Hollywood types. He was a real piece of Americana...

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Scratch said:
adorshki said:
walrus said:
Great videos!
walrus

Steve McQueen ranks high up on my top five all time Hollywood types. He was a real piece of Americana...

......and he got his start in a little movie called The Blob....I remember seeing it and walking back to the cottage about 2 miles along this smaller country road.....at night...with my not so helpful brother....it was a long walk :lol: :lol: Steffan

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Scratch said:
adorshki said:
Scratch you were square in my sights when I was targeting the ol' nostalgia bullseye... :D
Dr. Spivey said:
Painting pavement with rubber is an artistic endeavor. 8)
'specially tryin' to get those perfect circles.... :D

CA-35

Reaction score
Just for the Halibut:

There were two Mustangs used for the chase scene in "Bullitt", the Mustangs' engines, brakes and suspensions were heavily modified for the chase by veteran car racer Max Balchowsky. Steve McQueen only drove in about 10% of that entire scene. Most of the driving in the Mustang was done by Bud Ekins, who was also McQueens double for all the motorcycle riding in "The Great Escape".
And there were two 1968 375 hp 440 Magnum V8-powered Dodge Chargers. The engines in both Chargers were left largely unmodified, but the suspensions were mildly upgraded to cope with the demands of the stunt work.

Of the two Mustangs, one was scrapped after filming due to damage and liability concerns and the surviving backup car was sold to an employee of Warner Brothers. The car changed hands several times, and Steve McQueen at one point made an unsuccessful attempt to buy it. The Mustang is rumored to have been kept in a barn in the Ohio River Valley by an unknown owner. The fate of the Dodge Chargers are unknown