Pickguard question

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing the incorrect t-shell pickguard on my DV-52 with a correct black one. But I'm undecided about whether or not Guild would have put the nitro over the guard originally or not.

I want to undo poor decisions of the prior owner, but I don't want to make any dumb mistakes in the process.

So, was the original pickguard under the nitro?

Dave :D

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dave, I don't know if it changed over the model years or between models, but if my D-65s from 1994 is any indication..... they lacquered right over the black pickguard. That's the only input I have on this..... 8)

ladytexan

Reaction score
Just a slight veer, please. Why did/do the black pickguards shrink? I've seen several dread models with the black pickguard that show shrinkage. I've done a search and have not found a thread that addresses this. Thanks! :D

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
davismanLV said:
Dave, I don't know if it changed over the model years or between models, but if my D-65s from 1994 is any indication..... they lacquered right over the black pickguard. That's the only input I have on this..... 8)
But an October '96 D25's is not lacquered over. Wouldn't surprise me if the Fender takeover of production (late '95) would mark the transition point.
I bet Hideglue'd know.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ladytexan said:
Just a slight veer, please. Why did/do the black pickguards shrink? I've seen several dread models with the black pickguard that show shrinkage. I've done a search and have not found a thread that addresses this. Thanks! :D

I don't know why they shrink, Toni, but it's not just the black ones.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
dapmdave said:
ladytexan said:
I don't know why they shrink, Toni, but it's not just the black ones.
Because they're nitrocellulose plastic (celluloid) which outgasses just like NC lacquer, but more slowly. That was definitely the problem with binding in the '40's and '50's, although the the formulas were improved over the years to the point where it's not as big a problem as it once was. Vinyl plastics have also been introduced.

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Also of note, as the pickguard shrinks it can create a crack in the spruce soundboard. Spraying lacquer over the pickguard tends to compound the problem. Martin guitars from the '70's seem to be very prone to the curling pickguard, pickguard crack problem. Martin switched to a self-adhesive pickguard, stuck on over the finish in the early 80's.

The finish on my 1988 Guild D-60 is applied over the black pickguard. My 69/70 F212, the pickguard is on top of the finish.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
evenkeel said:
Also of note, as the pickguard shrinks it can create a crack in the spruce soundboard. Spraying lacquer over the pickguard tends to compound the problem. Martin guitars from the '70's seem to be very prone to the curling pickguard, pickguard crack problem. Martin switched to a self-adhesive pickguard, stuck on over the finish in the early 80's.

The finish on my 1988 Guild D-60 is applied over the black pickguard. My 69/70 F212, the pickguard is on top of the finish.

Yep. I have this on my F212 and my F44. Curling pickguard causing cracks.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Is the "incorrect" pick guard factory?
If not, you should have no problem removing it.
It would have already been done once with the TPG.

Funny side note.
I wanted to remove the black guard on my 1981 Martin D-35 and replace it with a nicer looking TPG
but my guard is under the finish. I'll leave it as is.

deckhand

Reaction score
Dave,
My 93 DV-52 has the black pickguard. It appears that the finish was sprayed over it. This was in the early years when they came with herringbone and a satin finish however mine has been buffed to a gloss since then.

Craig

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
adorshki said:
davismanLV said:
But an October '96 D25's is not lacquered over. Wouldn't surprise me if the Fender takeover of production (late '95) would mark the transition point.
I bet Hideglue'd know.
IN the interest of accuracy I have to correct my own post. A careful examination of my D25 (literally under a magnifying glass) seems to indicate that it is actually lacquered over. The appearance of the pick wear deceives one's perception, it looks like it's on bare plastic.