Bob Dylan's 1965 Newport Folk Festival Strat

ladytexan

Reaction score

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Very interesting, thank you Toni. Being booed must've been very difficult for him. He may not have expected that and afterwards, who knows, maybe he could've cared less about that guitar.

Sal

Reaction score
Very cool! Can anyone identify what type of microphones these were?

main.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thunderface said:
PBS' "History Detectives" is going to do a segemtn on the controversy over who has the Newport Strat next Tuesday.

Potential spoiler alert: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...t-excited-dylan-says-pbs-has-the-wrong-guitar

Not a spoiler. All the coverage I have seen included Dylan's claim that it is not The guitar. Some of the coverage even went on to say that Dylan owned several Strats, often kept songwriting papers in the cases and had some stolen, implying but not actually saying, that the Strat in question was one of those.

And, of course, if it is Dylan's guitar (whether or not it was played at Newport) there is the question of ownership. Are there police reports for the allegedly stolen guitars? Is there a statute of limitations on abandoned or stolen property?

I stopped watching the History Detectives because in the cases where I had some informed opinions about what they were looking at/for they seemed to always make decisions based upon what made for dramatic television and not what made the most historical sense or would tell all sides of the story. While they could often make a case they never quite reached the standard of "beyond a reasonable doubt" IMO.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:
I stopped watching the History Detectives because in the cases where I had some informed opinions about what they were looking at/for they seemed to always make decisions based upon what made for dramatic television and not what made the most historical sense or would tell all sides of the story. While they could often make a case they never quite reached the standard of "beyond a reasonable doubt" IMO.

Interesting that you say this. Even though I'm a fan of this type of TV, I don't care to watch "History Detectives" so much. There's an overall pretentiousness there that puts me off.

Dave :D

ladytexan

Reaction score
dapmdave said:
fronobulax said:

Interesting that you say this. Even though I'm a fan of this type of TV, I don't care to watch "History Detectives" so much. There's an overall pretentiousness there that puts me off.

Dave :D
Why would one not believe Bob Dylan? It was his guitar, after all. Geez....... :shock:

I agree with you, frono and dapmdave, I don't like History Detectives, either. Sadly, such is the world of reality TV. Still hard to believe it's a PBS offering.

Sal

Reaction score
Why would one not believe Bob?

A Gibson SG that George Harrison hardly played recently sold for $567,000

Eric Clapton's "Blackie" has the record sale price of $959,500

Other than -- maybe -- a Hendrix guitar, what electric guitar would be worth more than Bob Dylan's "gone electric" 1964 Strat?

Those kinds of collector guitar prices cloud the issue and until other substantiating evidence turns up this will remain controversial.

ladytexan

Reaction score
Sal said:
Why would one not believe Bob?

A Gibson SG that George Harrison hardly played recently sold for $567,000

Eric Clapton's "Blackie" has the record sale price of $959,500

Other than -- maybe -- a Hendrix guitar, what electric guitar would be worth more than Bob Dylan's "gone electric" 1964 Strat?

Those kinds of collector guitar prices cloud the issue and until other substantiating evidence turns up this will remain controversial.
Sal, I, completely, understand the monetary reasons, but the aforementioned guitars were never identified by the artists' as 'not the one'. Wouldn't a collector be dubious about a six-figure (potentially seven-figure) investment guitar without better evidence (as you mentioned) and refuted as 'not the one' by the artist? And, yep, the controversay will continue.

Sal

Reaction score
Yeah I think we agree Tony, this Dawn Peterson is going to have a tough time selling this as "The" guitar right now. But as to why we would question Bob, and I do hate to question the mans integrity, but that high value is good reason to question him or anyone else in a similar situation.

I'll bet with "Star" owned guitars gaining in value, there are plenty of past performers who maybe sold off their stuff along the way, but would now present for sale an identical instrument as the one they played on that number one hit record back in the day!

jcwu

Reaction score
This is why I don't like selling off my gear. Who knows, maybe one day I'll be really famous and the guitars will be worth a lot more.

:mrgreen:

Thunderface

Reaction score
In case you missed the PBS "History Detectives" episode last night about the Newport Strat, you can see it here. There's also some stuff on a Beatles autograph and a Frank Zappa collage.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
ladytexan said:
Why would one not believe Bob Dylan? It was his guitar, after all. Geez....... :shock:

I agree with you, frono and dapmdave, I don't like History Detectives, either. Sadly, such is the world of reality TV. Still hard to believe it's a PBS offering.
I don't know if Dylan cares about particular instruments much, especially the electrics. He may just not want people to profit off of his fame. After all, he doesn't seem too concerned about getting it back.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

The matching of the wood grain, especially in the fingerboard, with a good close pic that hadn't been published before :!: I think is very telling that it is indeed the same guitar. Components can be changed and faked, wood grain can't. (Well, not that would stand up to close inspection.)

Thunderface

Reaction score
I was going to point out the same thing, Chris. That seemed like pretty convincing evidence to me. Of course now that they've run the special, Dylan's people will probably be calling demanding the guitar back, which will lead to those always fun court battles.