Auction Kings episodes

Ravon

Reaction score
I've seen a couple episodes and that's an entertaining show. In one, they auctioned off a autographed Bon Jovi (maybe?) import that went for alot more than I thought it would, something like $700. Go Braves :) !

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
gregsguitars said:
A new episode airs tonight at 10:30 PM, Gibson SG "the fool " replica....

I caught the show, Greg. I found myself agreeing with you that all that paint really did nothing for the value of the guitar. Just a defaced SG... But the buyers felt differently, didn't they?

Dave :D

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
dapmdave said:
gregsguitars said:
I caught the show, Greg. I found myself agreeing with you that all that paint really did othing for the value of the guitar. Just a defaced SG... But the buyers felt differently, didn't they?
Must have been speculators not players, but since I missed it, who actually painted it? If it was the originalFoolI could see some value, otherwise, you're right, I wouldn't see any value at all.
Slight veer, I alays wondered if the piece "The Fool" on the first Quicksilver Messenger Service album was inspired by their work? Seems entirely possible given the time period, and the music sure would complement the art... 8)

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
adorshki said:
dapmdave said:
gregsguitars said:
I caught the show, Greg. I found myself agreeing with you that all that paint really did othing for the value of the guitar. Just a defaced SG... But the buyers felt differently, didn't they?
Must have been speculators not players, but since I missed it, who actually painted it? If it was the originalFoolI could see some value, otherwise, you're right, I wouldn't see any value at all....)
no, it was painted by the guy who put it in to auction. He looked for all the pics and vids he could find to get all angles, bought a '61 RI SG and went to town. It looked like the paint was rather thick in spots, i wonder how smooth the neck is? it was bought by a dad for his son to play. I doubt there were any knowledgeable collectors bidding. The expert valued it at $800 (I think) which I thought was right. It sold for $1800.

Talk about a Fool! :lol:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
AcornHouse said:
it was bought by a dad for his son to play. I doubt there were any knowledgeable collectors bidding. The expert valued it at $800 (I think) which I thought was right. It sold for $1800.
And talk about kinda sad and kinda happy all in one (Dad buyin' it for his son)....
Thanks Chris!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
adorshki said:
AcornHouse said:
it was bought by a dad for his son to play. I doubt there were any knowledgeable collectors bidding. The expert valued it at $800 (I think) which I thought was right. It sold for $1800.
And talk about kinda sad and kinda happy all in one (Dad buyin' it for his son)....
Thanks Chris!
Yeah, his son'll have a quality guitar to play, so that's cool. (And the son can repaint it down the road, I'm sure.)

gregsguitars

Reaction score
Thanks for the kudos guys , Greg's Guitars stands by the evaluation given 100% , most people really do not understand that an "auction" does not indicate what an item is really worth ,but more realistically places a monetary amount that someone on any given day is willing to spend on any given item...With that said the crew we film with in Atlanta are a great bunch and we have a fun time together ( maybe an out-take episode ?) and the California crew stated they like our presentation on the show(s) and have let us know that they want to do more with us in the future, as we spread the word of the filmed episodes, tune in to them to give them decent ratings so more guitar episodes can be done.

gregsguitars

Reaction score
dapmdave said:
gregsguitars said:

I caught the show, Greg. I found myself agreeing with you that all that paint really did nothing for the value of the guitar. Just a defaced SG... But the buyers felt differently, didn't they?

Thanks Dave.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Greg,
How thick was the paint on the neck? I could see a noticeable build up on the front and was wondering how playable the neck ended up.

gregsguitars

Reaction score
The neck paint was relatively thin , it actually should have been sanded off to be a truer rendition of it when Clapton owned it (IMO). We have started filming new episodes as the auction house gets in guitars for evaluation for next season, to bad the editors really don't know how to properly edit an evaluated guitar and cut the filmed episodes down to much, but it is fun .