Woody Guthrie 100th Birthday

ladytexan

Reaction score
OK, a day or so ago, griehund started a thread about a life changing moment. This event just makes me feel dang old! :shock: This Land Is Your Land was one of the first songs I ever learned to play. Yesterday, it was! :wink:

Gosh, Woody impacted the world with his music.

Dr. Spivey

Reaction score
The 100th anniversary of Woody's birth makes me feel kind of sad. It seems like his music and life's story are rapidly being lost to antiquity. The fact that he died young and was in declining health for so long are contributing factors. I just have this overwhelming sense that there aren't many people left who really care. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTnVMulDTYA&feature=relmfu

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sitting in the truck at lunch reading the paper, whe what do I see, but a big article on Woody. The Smithsonian (who bought Folkways Records somehow) is issuing " Woody at 100" a 3 cd set celebrating his birthday. If you go to philly.com and do a search, you can find the article, but it looks like Woody will always be available.

spiderman

Reaction score
As someone who saw Woody live, I was only ~5-6 so memories are pretty hazy, but I did completely wear out my 78s of "Songs to Grow On", I don't think he will be forgotten any time soon. As an example, there was a local tribute Saturday night. I went to it without getting tickets in advance, and to my shock, discovered it was sold out! However, knowing that local venues often hold back a small block of tickets, and I was first in line I did get in, as did most of those who had perseverance. Nevertheless, it indicates his continuing resonance. Most of the audience was considerably younger than me, actually that seems to be the case for most venues these days, so it wasn't just greybeards involved. Will he be remembered 500+ years from now, obviously don't know, how many of us can sing "The Song of Roland" :roll:

Harmony H-173 bought in 1960 (retired), Alvarez AC60S 2008, Eastman AC320ce 2009 "Hybrid", Guild D25M 1974, Martin Grand J35E 2009, Martin D12-20 1970, Martin OM-21 2009, Martin 00-15M Custom (full body gloss, wide neck) 2011, Voyage-air VAOM-06 2010
"I'm glad there are a lot of guitar players pursuing technique as diligently as they possibly can, because it leaves this whole other area open to people like me."
Richard Thompson

john_kidder

Reaction score
spiderman said:
how many of us can sing "The Song of Roland"
Like most of us, Woody Guthrie's songs gave me my early understanding of what "folk" music is about. I bought the Smithsonian book/CD set upon release, and got a "Woody" t-shirt as well - very topical at last week's Vancouver Folk Music Festival, where Ramblin' Jack Elliott was featured.

Years ago I was manager of Roland Canada's fledgling Computer Music Division. I was fortunate to have frequent conversations with Taro Kakehashi, the founder of the company. At one time, in Chicago for the winter NAMM, I asked Mr. Kakehashi if he had named the company after Roland, the hero of that ancient French legend. Taro laughed, told me he had never heard of The Song Of Roland (I sent him a copy later). He said (this to be related in your best Japanese accent) "Oh, no, no, picked name to be same English and Japanese, so 'rorand, rorand', same both languages".

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
Although I know I'm late to the official commemoration, never is late to remind a great man, like Woody.

Here is a tribute performed by Will Kaufman: Two Good Men

Thanks Woody!

All the best,
B.

Zelja

Reaction score
A few years ago Billy Bragg & Wilco collaborated to put music to words of unheard Woody Guthrie lyricss. The project was put together by Woody's daughter Nora Guthrie. The result was the album "Mermaid Avenue" & then "Mermaid Avenue Vol II" - really love the result:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NtZJHi6IrQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRSRrtZeJDw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMBvzpCLGHg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GDU6ns2mRM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oZZX976Cw8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcmjRheVZmM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qqedFPZVbg

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Taylor Martin Guild said:
Some of you may be following a thread on the Acoustic guitar Forum about the resurgence of Folk Music.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/foru ... p?t=264569
It is interesting to see the varied opinions about just what Folk Music is.
Well no matter what the Acoustic Artists of today are called, I'll call Woody's music "Folk".
Thanks TMG, Interesting article or sure. and I agree, Woodys music, is pure, undistilled "folk". Thats the way he wanted it to be. :wink:
Zelja said:
A few years ago Billy Bragg & Wilco collaborated to put music to words of unheard Woody Guthrie lyricss. The project was put together by Woody's daughter Nora Guthrie. The result was the album "Mermaid Avenue" & then "Mermaid Avenue Vol II" - really love the result
Totally agree Zelja! I have friends that rave about those Cds, and every song I've listened to I've enjoyed greatly. I've been meaning to get buy those two Cds for awhile now. You may have just pushed me over the line. :wink:
On a related note, I loaned my DVD "Bound for Glory" to a 12 year old guitar player here. He loved it! and is now planning to read the book. :D Nice to see Woody's story ,words , and music living on and on.

ladytexan

Reaction score
Gosh, so many great resources....thanks, Gentlemen.

I recommend finding the works of the two-person team who trudged, climbed, and walked through the Appalachian Mountains between 1927 and 1934 to capture the folk people and their lives through photographs (Doris Ulmann) and transcription of their 'folk' music (John Jacob Niles). Through their works, many of the traditions and history of Folk Americana have been preserved. And, revived and furthered in the '50's and '60's by Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Pete Seeger, and others.

Here's hoping for another revival and resurgence of folk music. Who are/will be our new folk wordsmythies, poets, and songsters?

P.S. Part of Ms. Ulmann's photograph collection resides at Berea College (Kentucky), one of my most favorite places in all the world.

Zelja

Reaction score
ladytexan said:
I recommend finding the works of the two-person team who trudged, climbed, and walked through the Appalachian Mountains between 1927 and 1934 to capture the folk people and their lives through photographs (Doris Ulmann) and transcription of their 'folk' music (John Jacob Niles). Through their works, many of the traditions and history of Folk Americana have been preserved. And, revived and furthered in the '50's and '60's by Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan, Pete Seeger, and others.
That's really interesting Toni, as I didn't realise that that music from the 50's was an actual revival of that music which came from the Appalachians (assuming I've processed this right). I just always thought it just developed over many years linearly & had been around longer & more widespread.

I really like folk & especially the influence it has had on rock music. The music I play is often described as "power pop" & I have joked that it is actually "power folk".

ladytexan

Reaction score
Zelja said:
I didn't realise that that music from the 50's was an actual revival of that music which came from the Appalachians (assuming I've processed this right). I just always thought it just developed over many years linearly & had been around longer & more widespread.
Well Met, Well Met, My Own True Love, one of the folk ballads (and its variations) transcribed by John Jacob Niles has its origins as an English ballad. Many of the folks songs were variations on English, Scottish, and Irish ballads and songs remembered and passed-on by the singing and playing by the American settlers from one generation to the next. Geordie, another one of my favorites, has English and Scottish versions.

And like you mentioned, Zelja, folk music was/is a strong contributor to rock 'n roll. Eleanor Rigby by the Beatles comes to mind. :wink: