How to Take Good Guitar Photos

ladytexan

Reaction score
I $uck at taking good photos of my guitars (for posting). I don't have an exotic, expensive Sony-, Nikon-, Canon-anything. I'm not a shutterbug (which means I have not studied the art of photography - all I know is to have your light source behind you :shock: ). I'm such a neophite. I've done some web-searching and have found a few sites, but want to get more input.

So, fellow LTGers, those with extensive experience and background in photography, can you, please, share a few, essential & simple steps to help one shoot better photos - shy of recommending buying a much more expensive camera from the aforementioned manufacturers? Point me to the right sources. Please use fundamental, beginning terminology ,i.e., exposure rates, shutter speeds, etc. are lost on me. :D Thanks! ::::gratefulsmile::::

P.S. I have a Sony Carl Zeiss Cyber-shot DSC-T100. If I will not be able to shoot fairly decent guitar photos with this camera, that info would be helpful, too. :)

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Use natural light when possible.
You will get a lot less glare.

Don't use a direct flash or you will get glare.

A quality camera will help a lot but you can do it with a lesser quality camera.

cjd-player

Reaction score
One trick that makes a lot of difference is to get a large black cloth. Hang it and position the guitar and yourself so that any reflections from the guitar body are only the black cloth. Then you don't see tree leaves, ceiling lights, etc in the guitar's finish.

+1 on using outdoor light. Best on a cloudy day.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Kinda key is the lighting. Guitars (most) are HIGH GLOSS items and very curvey and so you end up with glare and light reflecting everywhere. A diffuser on any light source will help to soften those reflective surfaces and get you a better picture.

Think of it this way: You have bright natural sunlight screaming in a window and lighting up your guitar. You're gonna get harsh reflections all over every gloss surface. If you tack a flimsy white sheet up over the window, it will soften and "diffuse" the light resulting in way less reflections and you'll get a better photo.

My input for what it's worth..... (very little) :wink:

p.s. - as cjd says above... clouds are great light diffusers.... :)

ladytexan

Reaction score
davismanLV said:
Kinda key is the lighting. Guitars (most) are HIGH GLOSS items and very curvey and so you end up with glare and light reflecting everywhere. A diffuser on any light source will help to soften those reflective surfaces and get you a better picture.

Think of it this way: You have bright natural sunlight screaming in a window and lighting up your guitar. You're gonna get harsh reflections all over every gloss surface. If you tack a flimsy white sheet up over the window, it will soften and "diffuse" the light resulting in way less reflections and you'll get a better photo.

My input for what it's worth..... (very little) :wink:

p.s. - as cjd says above... clouds are great light diffusers.... :)
Thanks, Tom! Light diffusion is a must. Got it! Gosh, so much good info so simply explained. Mucho gracias!

ladytexan

Reaction score
TMG and cjd-player,

Thanks so much for the tips (and so quickly)...cloudy, outdoor natural light. So, simply explained that even I can understand it! :) You, Guys, rock! Is there a way of creating the outdoor, cloudy day light without a huge investment?

P.S. Steffan, I have no idea about T100. You know I don't know electric. The T100 is electric, right? ;)

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It doesn't have to be outdoor light. Any bright light source indoors will do, just diffuse it. Multiple sources reduce shadow. No flash. Where is Joe? He's the guy for this stuff, right? Probably out in a canoe somewhere shooting birds in real outdoor light.....

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ladytexan said:
TMG and cjd-player,

Thanks so much for the tips (and so quickly)...cloudy, outdoor natural light. So, simply explained that even I can understand it! :) You, Guys, rock! Is there a way of creating the outdoor, cloudy day light without a huge investment?

P.S. Steffan, I have no idea about T100. You know I don't know electric. The T100 is electric, right? ;)

Kinda a poor mans Starfire, my T100d has 2 pickups, unlike your T100 sony.... :D Steffan

tjmangum

Reaction score
Try to take pictures outside at the "Golden Hours" just as the sun is coming up or going down. The light is diffused more at those times.
T

Sal

Reaction score
I like to use a tripod. You can take your pictures in lower existing light with slower shutter speeds and your images should remain sharp. Even with your camera set to Automatic a tripod helps and you can take more time to compose the shot better.

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Great comments. CJD's black cloth idea is great. Will add that to my guitar pic taking.

I'll add one more general comment. Think about what "you" want to see. One pet peeve on EBay listings is the seller who decides to get creative and post a bunch of pics taken from odd angles. I know ladytexan was not asking about pics taken to sell, just to share, but the same holds true. Clear shots showing the guitar in total, front and back. Close ups of the headstock, fretboard, body (front and back), a bridge close up (showing the string break angle), etc., etc..

FWIW I use a similar Sony camera, Zeiss lens. It will do the job just fine.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
davismanLV said:
Where is Joe? He's the guy for this stuff, right? Probably out in a canoe somewhere shooting birds in real outdoor light.....
Can't fool you for a second, Tom.

When it comes to photography in general, IMHO, I always try to visualize the end result, like this one from my series, Light and Shadow.

f112light005.jpg

F112-6

lightandshadow002.jpg

D-25

Stock images of guitars, or anything else for that matter, will always be the end result of a process that involves much more than just a good camera. With the advent of digital photography, you can shoot to your heart's content and learn as you go, and please yourself first! It's a lot like learning to play guitar....don't try to play like anyone else.

*Shooting stationary objects is a relative piece of cake and decent cameras are readily available.
**More Light and Shadow will follow, unless someone says no mas! :wink:

Joe

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If you'd prefer to wax slightly artistic, try a little sepia toning.

sepiad50.jpg

D-50

I was in my sepia period in the mid-70s in the Ansel Adams School of making-it-up-as-you-go and trying anything. Lots of darkroom time back in the day! :lol:

Joe

CA-35

Reaction score
killdeer43 said:
I was in my sepia period in the mid-70s Joe

I was in my 5th period tenth grade chemistry class in the mid 70's :D :D :lol: :lol: :p :lol: :lol:

You line 'em up and I'll knock 'em down Joe!!

Great photos of the guitars!!

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If you want something a little abstract, perhaps, to show off your guitar's beautiful lines.... 8)

d35027crop.jpg

D-35

....take it outside and play with the light. :wink:

Joe

**Are we done here? Did someone say no mas?

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Joe, those are beautiful and amazing photographs. Your skill is undeniable. However, I think what I was looking for on this post was more instruction, not examples. I realize you can't teach a photography class in one post on a guitar forum online. But maybe if you mentioned equipment, cameras, lenses, shutter speed, lighting, tripods, and ...... all the other stuff you could GUIDE us with some basic instruction and maybe some pitfalls to avoid that would never occur to us non-photographers.

I think what we're wanting here is instruction and teaching, not so much examples of your fine photography. This is the moment for Joe THE TEACHER to shine..... :D :D

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
davismanLV said:
Hey Joe, those are beautiful and amazing photographs. Your skill is undeniable. However, I think what I was looking for on this post was more instruction, not examples. I realize you can't teach a photography class in one post on a guitar forum online. But maybe if you mentioned equipment, cameras, lenses, shutter speed, lighting, tripods, and ...... all the other stuff you could GUIDE us with some basic instruction and maybe some pitfalls to avoid that would never occur to us non-photographers.

I think what we're wanting here is instruction and teaching, not so much examples of your fine photography. This is the moment for Joe THE TEACHER to shine..... :D :D

:oops:

Joe