What Happens to Returned Guitars?

Ravon

Reaction score
As some of you know Guild replaced my new under warranty D-55 that had some finish issues with the faceplate, with a brand new pristine D-55. I wonder what will happen to the old one? Since the headstock isn't stamped with a serial # on the D-55's (Starfires?) I would like to think they just respray most and simply re-label. What does Guild (or Martin, Taylor...) do with those new returned guitars with minor issues? Maybe goes to the employees? Anyone know that's maybe been to LMG? Just wonderin'

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've heard various stories. If it is worth (i.e. cost effective in terms of resale) refurbishing then they would have fixed it for you instead of replacing it. So running it through a band saw is most likely. While it may have some value to someone it is a liability to the company because it has the "brand" on it and it is clearly a substandard product. I was once told to throw away my old laptop when the company issued me a new one. By boss knew that I would use a trash can at home and as it turned out several years elapsed before it was thrown out. In the same fashion I'm sure some guitars that are slated for destruction don't actually make it.

Folks at LTG mentioned the band saw option as an alternative to selling guitars as seconds (as a general principle). They also mentioned that they wanted to do warranty work at NH so they had feedback to quality control their processes. That was going to involve taking apart guitars that came back which suggests an autopsy followed by a band saw.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ravon said:
I wonder what will happen to the old one? Since the headstock isn't stamped with a serial # on the D-55's (Starfires?) I would like to think they just respray most and simply re-label. What does Guild (or Martin, Taylor...) do with those new returned guitars with minor issues? Maybe goes to the employees? Anyone know that's maybe been to LMG? Just wonderin'
It'd probably depend on the specific problem and if it was American or a GAD:There's an outfit called MIRC that specializes in refurbing manufacturer "seconds", and I'm pretty sure we've already seen an example of a GAD that was routed there, because GADs were simply replaced for a while.
The "notorious" liquidated Corona and Tacoma Guilds were put through MIRC, they specialize in marketing "refurbished" instruments which don't get benefit of warranty.
For American guitars I'm guessing something as serious as a warped or badly set neck may not "warrant" the cost of repair and might get "trashed". A finish flaw probably went to MIRC.
So some guitars have been repaired and some were replaced, the cases we've seen reported for New Hartford instruments each had circumstances which affected the final way in which the warranty was honored. HONORED being the critical point.
Thee new "wild card" is that now that there's a brand-spanking new repair facility in New Hartford, they may do stuff in house that they've had to "farm out" for the last couple of years.
If you hadn't seen the threads, Fender's Nashville repair facility where "official factory warranty work" was done was closed down about a couple of years ago, and because New Hartford had no repair capabilities owners with warranty claims were directed to whoever a local authorized dealer was to get a claim authorized and "broker" the warranty service, the dealer either doing it themselves or through whomever was subcontracted for the work.
So now you understand why so many different possibilities.

Ravon

Reaction score
Kinda reminds me of a 'Beefalo' (5/8 bovine 3/8 bison) bull I once owned when I first bought a farm. One of the most beautiful and powerful (and big) animal I've ever owned (or seen). I ended up after a year or so having to take him to a livestock auction and was sure he would be bought by some local farmer to admire for years ... nope, he ended up just like all the other cows that day as hamburger :cry:

Ravon

Reaction score
Al it's been 17 yrs. ago and I still feel guilty about doing that to such a big beautiful dude. I just thought I needed the money then...... Magnificant animals. Excuse me but here I go again..... :cry: :cry: :cry:

tjmangum

Reaction score
adorshki said:
Ravon said:
I wonder what will happen to the old one? Since the headstock isn't stamped with a serial # on the D-55's (Starfires?) I would like to think they just respray most and simply re-label. What does Guild (or Martin, Taylor...) do with those new returned guitars with minor issues? Maybe goes to the employees? Anyone know that's maybe been to LMG? Just wonderin'
It'd probably depend on the specific problem and if it was American or a GAD:There's an outfit called MIRC that specializes in refurbing manufacturer "seconds", and I'm pretty sure we've already seen an example of a GAD that was routed there, because GADs were simply replaced for a while.
I bought a GAD 50 from MIRC last year along with a bunch of Epi's and such. I was doing a music themed auction and wanted to beef things up. I think I bought it for about $375 and sold it for $325. (Yeah, I know, buy high and sell low. Sometimes it happens. I always figure the guy who got the steal will be back!) Most of their stuff is in good shape. I couldn't find any sign of anything on the GAD. I probably should have kept it.
Terry

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
tjmangum said:
I bought a GAD 50 from MIRC last year along with a bunch of Epi's and such. Most of their stuff is in good shape. I couldn't find any sign of anything on the GAD. I probably should have kept it.
Terry
Yeah I just wanted to keep the post short, no "slam" intended. I'm sure in some cases of Corona and Tacoma Guilds (and why not GAD's too?) they were simply liquidating overstock or "closeout" of perfectly good guitars.
When I checked their website I realized it was a perfectly legitimate business and if they do need to do some "refurb", it's done to quality standards.
They just can't pass through a warranty, but they're quite clear about that, and it's perfectly understandable.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ravon said:
Al it's been 17 yrs. ago and I still feel guilty about doing that to such a big beautiful dude. I just thought I needed the money then...... Magnificant animals. Excuse me but here I go again..... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Don't take this wrong, but almost the only "beef" I eat these days is Great Range Buffalo. 8)