Doing Away with Satellite TV Question

Ravon

Reaction score
My wife and I have decided to save a little money and drop our satellite service (DirectTV) and get an antenna for just the local stations. Knowing nothing about antenna could someone here get me in the right path on what I need to get? Thanks

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Try here...

http://www.antennaweb.org/

We use both sat TV and antenna TV. There's some great stuff on some of the over-the-air secondary channels, so you won't be limited to the networks. But you do have to live fairly close to a city where the broadcasts are available. I find that 40 miles is about the limit.

Dave

Ravon

Reaction score
Thank you very much Dave. This link looks to be just what I was looking for. I'll peruse it a bit more later tonight

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hi Ravon: Since the digital transition a couple of years back, broadcast signals, here at least, are of much lower signal strength than the old analog signals. Sound in particular seems excessively problematic and easily interfered with. Could be the signal environment out here, with so many signal sources, but it's something you may want to try to check out like with friends or neighbors in your area before "cutting the cord".
I have a digital tuner (for backup) with an indoor antenna, am on a second floor with clear line of sight to almost all the signal sources in the area, and still the quality's atrocious whenever I "scan and refresh" the tuner.
Aisde from the current Viacom squabble, personally I think DirecTV's the best deal in town, it absolutely offers the best package price for the "Basic plus locals" but I realize it may not be that, where you live.
Otherwise, yeah, I'm sympathetic to cutting out all the frills to try to keep whatever you can in your pocket. :wink:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ravon said:
Thank you very much Dave. This link looks to be just what I was looking for. I'll peruse it a bit more later tonight

You're welcome, buddy.

Dave :D

Ravon

Reaction score
adorshki said:
Hi Ravon: Since the digital transition a couple of years back, broadcast signals, here at least, are of much lower signal strength than the old analog signals. Sound in particular seems excessively problematic and easily interfered with. Could be the signal environment out here, with so many signal sources, but it's something you may want to try to check out like with friends or neighbors in your area before "cutting the cord".
I have a digital tuner (for backup) with an indoor antenna, am on a second floor with clear line of sight to almost all the signal sources in the area, and still the quality's atrocious whenever I "scan and refresh" the tuner.
Aisde from the current Viacom squabble, personally I think DirecTV's the best deal in town, it absolutely offers the best package price for the "Basic plus locals" but I realize it may not be that, where you live.
Otherwise, yeah, I'm sympathetic to cutting out all the frills to try to keep whatever you can in your pocket. :wink:
Yeah I understand Al and I will miss my reruns of 'Combat!' that I record. Other'n that, not much else on for me. My wife can get her reality shows on local. We have two young children and I don't think I can handle anymore episodes of Yo Gabba Gabba! :shock: so that'll be a plus

dougdnh

Reaction score
We live in a pretty rural area, and several years ago I purchased a high quality UHF antenna - a Terrestrial Digital DB-8 (about $90). Our reception with it is outstanding - we pull in CBS, NBC, Public TV and all it's spin offs (Create & World), along with THIS (old movies) and two weather channels. They are broadcast from Burlington Vermont, 90 miles from us, and come in perfect. The antenna is mounted in our attic, and we are on a hill which I'm sure helps. The critical thing is aiming the antenna exactly right, just a hair off and you won't get much. If your luck enough to pick up a public tv station (lots of music) that also has a sister station with Create, you won't miss satellite. We can't get ABC because the Vermont ABC affiliate still broadcasts via VHF (no great loss). However, 90% of all over the air tv is now UHF, so that's where you should put your money.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
With those guitars, what do you need TV for? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ravon

Reaction score
dreadnut said:
Exactly! Between my guitars and LTG (and Accuweather :wink: ) I've got plenty to occupy my spare time. Oh yeah, kids too :lol: !

Ravon

Reaction score
killdeer43 said:
Ravon said:
dreadnut said:
Exactly! Between my guitars and LTG (and Accuweather :wink: ) I've got plenty to occupy my spare time.
You have spare time? Wow, I'm totally impressed! 8)

Joe
Yep. That precious hour before bedtime is all mine! (oh and that hour I have before work) :lol:

Dr. Spivey

Reaction score
I have excellent results with these home made antennas. I've made several of each type for myself, friends and family. I use either 9ga galvanized wire for indoors, or 7ga aluminum for outdoors. I like the Gray-Hoverman the best. Any HD antenna works best with a little altitude. In the attic makes a huge difference over in room. Outdoors on a pole or roof is better still and a necessity in fringe areas. HDTV is a UHF signal and is very sensitive to reflections off metal surfaces. Once you get the antenna away from those reflections you'll find the range really isn't that limited. Sometimes just putting the antenna in a ground floor window on the side facing the signal is all it takes. I recommend using the reflector with all these designs.

http://www.tvantennaplans.com/

http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/index.htm

A Roku box is a wonderful thing for sucking free TV off the internet. I have one of these as well, and love it. I haven't had cable for years.

http://www.roku.com/

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Good one doc. Saw something similar on YouTube. Having to pay its like having a joke in your pocket. :lol: Steffan

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I meant hole, but banana works.....gotta be careful with the phone, it sometimes changes words...
:lol: Steffan

Ravon

Reaction score
Dr. Spivey said:
I have excellent results with these home made antennas. I've made several of each type for myself, friends and family. I use either 9ga galvanized wire for indoors, or 7ga aluminum for outdoors. I like the Gray-Hoverman the best. Any HD antenna works best with a little altitude. In the attic makes a huge difference over in room. Outdoors on a pole or roof is better still and a necessity in fringe areas. HDTV is a UHF signal and is very sensitive to reflections off metal surfaces. Once you get the antenna away from those reflections you'll find the range really isn't that limited. Sometimes just putting the antenna in a ground floor window on the side facing the signal is all it takes. I recommend using the reflector with all these designs.

http://www.tvantennaplans.com/

http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/index.htm

A Roku box is a wonderful thing for sucking free TV off the internet. I have one of these as well, and love it. I haven't had cable for years.

http://www.roku.com/
Very cool Doctor 8) I may just give one of those plans a try. Thank You