The Woz on "Driving Etiquette"

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The local paper has a rather widely reknowned regional column called "Roadshow" whose regular columnist is on a medical leave, so Steve Wozniak graciously contributed his time for this stand-in effort. I couldn't resist adding some of my own observations about some of his statements.
Strictly for editorial balance, of course.
:wink:

Guest Mr. Roadshow: Steve Wozniak on the rules of the road according to Woz
By Steve Wozniak
Special to the Mercury News
Posted: 07/24/2012 06:09:02 AM PDT
Updated: 07/24/2012 06:24:57 AM PDT

Q What are your pet road peeves -- the things other drivers do that annoy you most?
A I dislike it when drivers slow down to a near-stop as they look for particular streets, addresses or businesses.
I also disdain drivers who pull into a business driveway and take forever to complete their pull-in while I sit behind them in a traffic lane that should be moving.
And I hate web pages that take forever to load…

Q What is the Golden Road Rule According to Woz?
A Don't offend other drivers. We all want to get somewhere. Let everyone in. It's OK to touch your own brake.
We all help each other get to where we are going.
Good ol’ Steve, even after Apple he’s still promoting better living through technology and helping us help ourselves…

Q What are your best driving habits, and what are your worst?
A My best habits include use of blinkers and not blocking others. I keep a good distance behind the car in front of me. I never tailgate. Also, I buy and study the large DMV handbooks from the first page to the last. I would never lie in traffic court.
Recently in New York in a rental car, with which I was not familiar, at night, I'd notice my speed varying between 60 and 80 mph, in a 65 mph zone. I'd notice the speed high and I'd slow down.
I did get pulled over but told the cop the truth and he let me go:
“Yessir. I really am Steve Wozniak”

My worst driving habit of all is probably relying on my GPS navigation systems.
Every one leads me into horrible decisions that I would never make without them. We all know that but we rely on these systems.
Better living through technology again.

Q Is there anything about your driving that annoys Mrs. Woz? Anything about her driving that annoys you?
A Nothing bothers me about Janet's driving ever.
Q Good answer.

:lol:

Q Anything you'd like to say about your Prius?
… When I get a new car I go through the manual from the first page to the last, underlining everything that might not come to your mind without reading it. I also note errors. I put Post-it notes on those pages (20 or 30 notes for my latest Prius, a 2010 model) and take notes on separate sheets of paper.
I like to tell others things about their Priuses that they might not know.
A principle first utilized in the “undocumented features” of the MAC OS.

I try to educate Janet from my own learning but she doesn't remember subtle things that one never uses. So one time, to better educate Janet, I pushed the button by the driver's left knee (2009 or earlier models), which disable the keyless entry system, and the ability to start your Prius without putting the key into the ignition. As I drove toward home in my Prius my cellphone rang. It was Janet screaming that I was driving away with her key. I'd just driven her Prius to a parking spot by my own Prius. But now her Prius would not start. I calmly told her that I did not have her key. It took awhile to ask where she'd put her key and to calmly tell her to look there (her purse) and she found it. Then I told her calmly to put it in the ignition. When she got home I showed her the button.
She will NEVER forget that lesson. I consider it an example of good teaching.
:shock:
For the record, yes, they are still married....

Steve Wozniak is the cofounder of Apple. The real Mr. Roadshow, Gary Richards, will return soon.