Olympics coverage

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Here we go again....same old, same old! :?

I'm at my desk at 3:30 and the NBC affiliate in Seattle is rerunning the always exciting (NOT) opening ceremonies, while the Vancouver CBC station has LIVE action with real athletic competition.

Oy!
Joe

*I will not root for the US men's basketball team. Just sayin'.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I always enjoy watching the Olympics.
I don't like how political it has become.
I would like to see stricter rules and make training equal for everyone.
I doubt that this is possible though.

All in all, these athletes are among the best and I wish then well.

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
killdeer43 said:
Here we go again....same old, same old! :?

I'm at my desk at 3:30 and the NBC affiliate in Seattle is rerunning the always exciting (NOT) opening ceremonies, while the Vancouver CBC station has LIVE action with real athletic competition.
This may be the last Olympics to use the "old model", whereby network broadcasters decide the times at which events will be aired (seldom live, usually recorded), whilst charging advertisers large amounts to sponsor the broadcasts.

With more & more people watching online, commercial-free, this model seems doomed.

and Joe, there are 4 Canadian channels (all owned by the same conglomerate) showing the games, and they all use tape delays at some point during the day :(

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
There were discussions in the press concerning how U.S. broadcasters would handle the coverage knowing that people often knew the results before the broadcast, from other sources. One strategy was to build interest based upon something other than the result - talk about rivalries, history, family, teammates and speculate on what might happen but has not happened yet. Not sure if it is working - I personally have watched very little Olympic coverage.

Ridgemont

Reaction score
I would love to see the Olympics in real time, as well as a summarized highlight reel like they currently show in primetime. I understand why they do the primetime deal. I am not able to watch while at work, but would love to record it and watch later. While not as entertaining, I have started watching the games in real time online...while at work, but don't tell anybody.

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused about water polo as an Olympic sport. It certainly can't be much fun for the horses.
O.K., someone had to say it. :?
Peace

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
They're having an Olympics again?
Thought nothing was ever gonna top Beijing?
Guess they're desperate for content for television?
Now the internet makes the registers go ka-ching?

CA-35

Reaction score
Do I hate all the politically correct crap, the advertising and the ridiculous sponsorships? YES! Do I loathe the tape recordings so they can be played at a more reasonable prime time for advertisers? YES!

But never doubt the work and dedication, sometimes many years of dedication, before someone can even qualify (and sometimes return again and again) for Olympic competition. Never doubt the skill level they compete on. Never doubt the strength and talent they possess.

And I don't care who you are, (with all due respect to our LTG'ers abroad)you gotta love the Americans kicking some foreign a$$! 8)

CA-35

Reaction score
southernGuild said:
CA-35 said:
And I don't care who you are, (with all due respect to our LTG'ers abroad)you gotta love the Americans kicking some foreign a$$! 8)
With all 'due' respect, No I don't. :wink:

It's all good. No offense meant. I'm just a homer rootin' for my homies. :wink:

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Thats pretty much where I'm coming from too CA.
These athletes have worked long and hard to get there and this is their day.
For me, no matter what nation they come from, May the best athlete win. Fair, drug free and on the square.
Thats what I like to see.:wink:

I also like to see the smaller, less populated , less cashed up nations win some too. Play on. 8)

CA-35

Reaction score
southernGuild said:
For me, no matter what nation they come from, May the best athlete win. Fair, drug free and on the square.

Well said. I'll even drink a few beers to that. :D

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
CA-35 said:
southernGuild said:
Well said. I'll even drink a few beers to that. :D
Gotta admit shortly after my last post I was reading online about Michael Phelps missing Gold on the Butterfly by 1/4 of a second due to his decision to coast to the finish and getting "out-touched", before he finally got Gold in the Relay. Talk about going from the agony of defeat to the thrill of victory....
That's sheer human drama no matter where he's from. Man I could identify with losing that Gold by "that much", and I think that's really why we watch. :wink:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I miss my favorite event olympic event....curling :shock: :p , it will be here this winter.

West

CA-35

Reaction score
West R Lee said:
I miss my favorite event olympic event....curling :shock: :p , it will be here this winter.

West

When did 12 oz. curls become an Olympic event? :lol: