Tempted to make this a poll topic...

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm all over the 'too loud' part of the story, but it's not just pop music. No matter if it's the Beatles or Bach, too loud is too loud!

Just sayin' and maybe helping this thread along,
Joe

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Have to agree with the article. Katy Perry's NEW song sounds pretty much like all her other songs. Nothing distinctive at all. And this article doesn't even touch the trouble with lyrics these days!! Shallow and aggressive, selfish and bitchy, lacking insight and understanding.......

Jeeze, I sound like a cranky old man! :lol: :lol:

tjmangum

Reaction score
"scientists have worked out that modern pop music really is louder and does all sound the same."
Amen brother! Tell it like it is :lol:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Interesting but not surprising. Considering that the basic pattern of trying to figure out what made something a hit and incorporating those elements in the next song in hopes of another hit has persisted for decades you can imagine a kind of musical evolution converging on "the same thing". Given the number of artists and hits that are considered groundbreaking because they seem to cross genre boundaries it would be interesting to see if the same holds true within a genre? To the extent that someone can determine which genre something belongs in are the same observations valid within a genre?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm sure when I drive by, people who don't like my type of music would say it's too loud. Cranking "Helter Skelter" isn't for everyone!

Then when a car goes by me blasting hip hop, I definitely think its too loud - ANY volume of that is too loud for me.

It's all relative...

walrus

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The big studios are all about making a pop song sound good to a 14 year-old girl. That's pretty much the standard.

Dave :D

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
No one has crossed the line, or even come especially close, but I do want to remind folks that people who play Guilds and frequent LTG have varied musical preferences. It is one thing to express a personal opinion that you would rather not listen to a particular genre and quite another to dismiss a genre as unworthy of anyone's time and attention.

Geo

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
No one has crossed the line, or even come especially close, but I do want to remind folks that people who play Guilds and frequent LTG have varied musical preferences. It is one thing to express a personal opinion that you would rather not listen to a particular genre and quite another to dismiss a genre as unworthy of anyone's time and attention.
I don't know about pop but does this mean rap isn't really crap? :shock:

George

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
fronobulax said:

There ya go plebs ............ you have been warned !!

Welcome to Gulag Frono. And adieu to any small thoughts I was entertaining of re-joining the Forum.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
coastie99 said:
fronobulax said:

Welcome to Gulag Frono. And adieu to any small thoughts I was entertaining of re-joining the Forum.
Come'on Gary, do you really prefer all the crap out there at other forums? I am happy somebody tries to keep LTG on topic and outside politics and other crap. You've been here so long and such a valuable member, it's not nice to hear such thoughts from you...Sorry to say.
My 2 cents.
Ralf

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
SFIV1967 said:
Come'on Gary, do you really prefer all the crap out there at other forums?
Well, assuming he actually does visit other forums...but more to the point, there I am ready to say "Welcome back, Coastie!!", only to see him resign again all in the space of about 30 seconds.... :(

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
SFIV1967 said:
coastie99 said:
fronobulax said:

Come'on Gary, do you really prefer all the crap out there at other forums? I am happy somebody tries to keep LTG on topic and outside politics and other crap. You've been here so long and such a valuable member, it's not nice to hear such thoughts from you...Sorry to say.
My 2 cents.
Ralf

+1

If Gary really feels that way it's a shame, but I suppose it's better that he doesn't participate.

Being a moderator is truly a thankless job, and they're never going to pleas all the people all of the time. I appreciate everything they do here to keep this place an on-topic, and inclusive forum. Thanks again guys!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
:lol: Sorry guys, but in my very humble opinion........rap is not music, it's talking (sometimes almost in rhyme) to somewhat of a beat with a bunch of other goofy noises in the backround.........and no artistic value whatsoever.

West .....censor away.