67th anniv of greatest sea disaster in US Naval history

CA-35

Reaction score
Tonight at 12:15AM (July 30th) will mark the 67th anniversary of the greatest sea disaster in US Naval history; The sinking of the heavy cruiser USS Indianapolis (CA-35).
Torpedoed at 12:15 by three Japanese torpedoes from the Imperial Japanese submarine I-58, she sank in 12 minutes with an estimated 400 trapped inside, leaving almost 800 to founder in the ocean for 5 nights and 4 days. Only 317, from a crew of 1197, were rescued. There are less than 50 still alive today.

It stands as one of the greatest feats of human endurance, on record, ever. Try floating in the ocean naked, covered in fuel oil, in many cases with severe injury, with no food or fresh water for 112 hours while fending off sharks.

USS Indianapolis (CA-35) still at sea................
800px-USS_Indianapolis_%28CA-35%29_underway_in_1939.jpg

CA-35

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
Last year's anniversary thread.

Thank-you, Frono, for posting last years thread, you have good memory. Thank-you
I decided shorter is sweeter this year.

FYI: There is a reunion of the USS Indianapolis survivors at the Indianapolis Westin Aug 2nd thru the 5th. I would expect all of the remaining living survivors to be there.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
CA-35 said:
fronobulax said:
Last year's anniversary thread.

Thank-you, Frono, for posting last years thread, you have good memory. Thank-you
I decided shorter is sweeter this year.

FYI: There is a reunion of the USS Indianapolis survivors at the Indianapolis Westin Aug 2nd thru the 5th. I would expect all of the remaining living survivors to be there.

Although some fear my inner snark has been let loose, I recalled the thread as having interesting historical commentary and thought people might be interested in following up reading there rather than taxing your fingers and memory and having you repeat yourself.

learnintoplay62

Reaction score
Thanks CA. I have been wanting to read a good ( relative term ) about WW11 and after reading this post I bought " In Harms Way " by Doug Stanton. I thought it was a good read. It was stunningly sad what those men endured. They deserve as much credit as we can bestow on them.
Sad that only 50 or so are still alive.

CA-35

Reaction score
learnintoplay62 said:
Thanks CA. I have been wanting to read a good ( relative term ) about WW11 and after reading this post I bought " In Harms Way " by Doug Stanton. I thought it was a good read. It was stunningly sad what those men endured. They deserve as much credit as we can bestow on them.
Sad that only 50 or so are still alive.

There are several books about the incident and Doug's is certainly a good start. I highly recommend "Fatal Voyage" by Dan Kurzman and "Abandon Ship" by Richard F. Newcomb.

I just spent a weekend (at their reunion) with less than 40 survivors, and I am humbled by the thought that I have seen true greatness in my time.