Piano Grave Yards

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
I like pianos....and graveyards....But not together.
Still, Good article, but hard reading.:cry: What a sad sad state of affairs. And, what a loss all around. Those old pianos are wonderful! They have so much left to give, and are worth the attention needed to restore and repair them.
But, It seems that in these 'modern times' they are just in the way. Folks dont realise that the quality of the woods and the workmanship they offer is not as available nowadays for a reasonable cost. We are throwing away some great history with them as well.
I have a 1922 Concord piano, pianola ( fully restored), Made in Chicago. Built like a tank, and man what a sound! I couldn't imagine that big baby ever going to the trash. Sadly, thats exactly whats happening all over.
Thanks TJ for the notice. A sad but true story.

Zelja

Reaction score
As some one who still dreams of one day having a baby grand in the home (even though I don't really play), that makes me rather sad as well. Another sign of the cultural shifts that are occurring (& always have).

southernGuild

Reaction score
Below, From a Piano restoration site, Words that are falling on deaf ears. :(

IS MY ANTIQUE INSTRUMENT WORTH THE INVESTMENT?

"Over the years, we have seen 2 basic mindsets in the piano industry: Those who love antique pianos, and those who think they are junk. It is a much divided world of opinions, and it is rare that we encounter those who seem to take much of a middle ground on the subject.

I have clients approach me asking "is my antique piano worth restoration?" My immediate answer is unequivocally "Yes!" because of what I have seen in the real marketplace over the past several years. I realize that there are a lot of piano tuners and technicians out there who do not believe that antique pianos are worth restoration. There seems to be common school of thought in the piano world that "new is better." However, there are those who love and cherish these vintage instruments - those that want to restore and preserve them for future generations.

Being a professional pianist is what got me so involved with piano restoration and preservation. I approach these vintage instruments from Turn Of The Century Piano Craftsman a pianists' point of view first, and from a technical point of view second. I have personally sat down and played Beethoven Piano Sonatas on a restored Pre-Civil War square grand piano. I got chills down my back because of the experience, knowing I was hearing the music the way Beethoven's audience heard it first hand. I have played Chopin and Schumann on restored turn-of-the-century uprights and grands, from which the power and warmth was incredibly moving. I suspect that many new piano dealers have not had the privilege of that experience. To me, the thrill was totally lost, almost sterile, sitting down to a new Yamaha. I admit that this is my own opinion as a pianist, and those who disagree are entitled to say so.

The fact is that the market has historically supported antique piano restoration and preservation, and seems to be a fast growing trend. We have experienced this first hand, as have many of our colleagues around the country. As restoration costs steadily increase, values of these antique instruments are steadily increasing as well. How can an instrument that cost hundreds of dollars a century ago (the cost of a house!), not to mention that the instrument has survived 100 years and is still functional and in one piece, be the equivalent of a useless, worthless piece of furniture today? While respecting the differing opinions of others, those who prefer new pianos over restoration are simply not our customers, just as those who are passionate about having an antique instrument restored are not likely to go out and buy a new piano. People who love and appreciate antique and historical instruments are the people who create the very real market for these instruments. These people are preserving an important part of our history for future generations to come. People who do not share this love and appreciation will tell you the market isn't there, and although we see it quite differently, we choose to respect their opinions. If you are interested in our restoration services, we would be delighted to hear from you!"

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
In 2015 Toronto will be hosting the Pan Am games. The city recently began a campaign to boost awareness & support for the games (bad timing, just as the Olympics take place) :?

One part of the campaign involved placing a number of old upright pianos around the city in public places. The pianos were donated, tuned up as required by volunteers, and each was painted to represent a country in the Americas, by an artist from that country. The program is called "Play me, I'm yours".

http://www.thestar.com/living/artic...m-yours-puts-41-pianos-across-city-of-toronto

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well said, Southern. Your points are true of all kinds of older musical instruments...

walrus

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is truly sad, but we live in a disposable, "throw-away" society. Sign of the times..... hard to accept. What are tomorrow's legacies??

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
Mama ' Strang has a 1911 Steinway Upright Grand which she has had since about 1940. I would hate it if that noble old instrument met such a fate. When the time comes I'll do everything I can to put it in the hands of someone who will appreciate it and use it. At 96 Mom still makes beautiful music with it. :D

I never could. :(

' Strang

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
12 string said:
Mama ' Strang has a 1911 Steinway Upright Grand which she has had since about 1940. I would hate it if that noble old instrument met such a fate. When the time comes I'll do everything I can to put it in the hands of someone who will appreciate it and use it. At 96 Mom still makes beautiful music with it. :D
' Strang
Strang!! Is that you over on the "Let's Talk Steinway" forum with the 8 pianos in their siggy?

:lol:

southernGuild

Reaction score
adorshki said:
12 string said:
' Strang
Strang!! Is that you over on the "Let's Talk Steinway" forum with the 8 pianos in their siggy?

:lol:
:lol: Could be. Over there he could be known as " 250 strings"
:wink: ( approx # of strings on a piano)

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
Naa, that's my brother, 'iano.

CA-35

Reaction score
davismanLV said:
This is truly sad, but we live in a disposable, "throw-away" society. Sign of the times..... hard to accept. What are tomorrow's legacies??

Great point Thomas. 8)

Tomorrow's legacies are what is created the day before. And obsolete the day after.