K&K Pure Western Mini Question

guitarjamman

Reaction score
Bought a K&K Pure Western Mini to replace the current sound hole pickup (Lace) I had installed previously. Followed the instructions and all went without a hitch....My question revolves around placing the rear nut to the correct depth on the jack?

There are two nuts to tighten on the jack, one holds tight against the inside of the guitar and the second holds tight against the outside of the guitar. The outside one is simple to tighten correctly but the inside one keeps vibrating loose and makes quite a racket. Can't seem to tighten it to the right spot and have it hold. When it gets going, it sounds like I have a loose brace!

Any tips from you guys to get it to the right thread before installing it?

Thanks

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Not a K&K but my one guitar that has a pickup in it has 2 nuts on the inside. One to tighten and the other to lock it in place.

Are you sure that you should have one of the nuts on the outside of the guitar?
Could it be that they both were meant to be placed inside the guitar?

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
I've installed a nearly a dozen K&K's over the years, inc. all the current crop of Guilds. Here is how I do it.

First measure the depth of the hole you drilled. I use a chop stick. Then you want to set the inner barrell and retaining nut so that you place the jack with the proper amount sticking out. The jack should just sit a bit proud to assure the cable makes solid contact. Dry fit until you have it where youwant it. Then, before you seat the inner retaining nut against the barrell I apply a dab of locktite or silicone caulk onto the threads. I grip the barrell with a vise grip and use a open end wrench on the nut. Seat the nut firmly but don't crush things. Between the inner retaining nut and the guitar you should have a washer with a rough edge to it. This will also help hold things in place. Then outside you have another finish type washer, a outer nut and decorative end cap. I also use a dab of slicone or locktite on the outside. I use a small hex key, run thru the hole in the outer jack to hold the whole assembly in place while I use a thin open end wrench to tighten things up.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You guys impress me! I had mine installed by a luthier - I would not know where to start!

I love the K&K in my D64 - enjoy it, jamman!

walrus