My Recent Arizona Trip

guitarjamman

Reaction score
Took the old man and the brothers on a camping trip to see Rainbow Bridge in Arizona, then over to Utah to hike Buckskin Gultch a few weeks ago. First to start, I am extremely jealous of the members here who live in that area - Heaven on Earth. I try to get out there once every few years but it life has a strange way of getting in the middle. We have hiked the Grand Canyon numerous times and Zion a few times. Bryce Canyon is one of my favorite spots, a sunrise in the heart of the park out there is to die for....

Anyways, I wanted to share a select few photos with you folks:

At the trail head along Navajo Mountain straddling the Utah/Arizona border, there is an old brick building that photographed pretty well. It is sad to say, but the natives out there who live on the preserves do not have much better for permanent housing. I know inner-city poverty can be oppressive, but it seems in the desolate county side the word "poor" gets taken to a whole new level. Every person I met on our trip had a heart of gold though; I quickly got the impression that if you needed a piece of food, the last slice of bread in the house would be given up out of generosity. I try my hardest not to perpetuate the typical Northeasterner attitude and feel I do pretty well, but the size of everyone's heart in the southwest is enough to make me weak at the knees.
AbandonedBuilding.jpg

Here is a neat little panoramic I shot at a rest area along the trail, this was about 6 hours into the hike and our elevation remained constant at around 6,300 feet. Scenery was absolutely stunning around every corner.
RestStopPanoramic.jpg

TrailPanoramic.jpg

After camping on the trail for a night and another full day of hiking (we were stopping to smell the roses and taking in the atmosphere) we reached the Rainbow Bridge. This picture does not do any justice to the sheer awesomeness of this place. The bridge is about 300' tall and has a massive presence when you come upon it. The temperature was around 85 degrees when the photo was shot and you can still see snow on the mountains in the background (about 4,000' feet higher). Pretty neat :D
RainbowBridgePanoramic.jpg

After hiking back out we drove about 5 hours into Utah to begin our adventures in the Buckskin Gultch. Again the photos may be neat, but to see it in person is unbelievable. The gultch is a neat little slot canyon with walls about 200' high on both sides and a width of no more than 5' in certain areas. It rained a few days before we got there so there was some DEEP standing water - side note, in the picture of my brothers you can see the water level lines when it flows (no way you could make it out alive if a flash flood came through).
BuckskinwBrothers.jpg

Another neat shot of the nooks and crannies carved out in the walls
BuckskinGultch.jpg

I would recommend visiting either of these two places to anyone who wants to see the beauty mother nature has tucked away.

-Z

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Beautiful stuff Z! It's a wee bit too dry in the Southwest for my tastes, but it's magnificent country nonetheless.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
There are some amazingly beautiful landscapes and awe inspiring scenery out here in the Southwest. Those are GREAT pictures, thanks for sharing them with us. It's good to get away now and then..... :D

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Beautiful country out there. And some great pics, jamman.

Dave :D

ladytexan

Reaction score
Arizona is a beautiful State! If one wants some solitude and 'think' time, the Arizona landscapes sure make that possible....serenity, beauty, and wide-open spaces. The scenary is awe-inspiring.

These are great photos, and thanks for sharing!

P.S. Critter awareness is a must for hiking and camping trips. ;)

Zelja

Reaction score
Great photos & looks like a wonderful part of the world. I've only been on a day trip to the Grand Canyon but those pics & your words make me want to see more of those places.