Twin cities and Windy City?

Ohjay

Reaction score
5 hours left at work, doing the night shift and I have a hopeful NGD tomorrow(Guild of course). I have no idea how I'm gonna sleep when I get home, and I'm climbing the walls already. So to make time pass a little faster I wanted to ask you guys if you have any tips of things to do, see and experience in Minneapolis and Chicago?

I've got a trip planned this autumn where I'll stay a few days in Minneapolis and then almost a week in Chicago. The reason for the trip is to see the Minnesota Vikings(yep, I like self-inflicted pain :shock: ), but since I'm travelling halfway across the world, why not see something else as well, hence the trip to Chicago as well.

I haven't really got any plans so far apart from the NFL game, and I will be visiting Buddy Guy's place in the Windy City.
I'm not all that into touristy stuff(museums and whatnot) and would rather experience the city, culture and well, beat of the city, so to speak. Chicago is, reputedly, a great city for music and I was thinking of making that my main focus for my visit there.
So have you got any hot tips for me?

Sal

Reaction score
Hej Ohjay.

Well, when you're in Minneapolis you could check out the new wing of the Swedish Institute: http://www.asimn.org/ and their current exhibit of tapestries from Swedish artist Helena Hernmarck.

But you say you're not into museums and would prefer music so come to the West Bank neighborhood and check out our theaters, restaurants and bars: http://www.thewestbank.org/music

Some feel the area is a little rough at night but if you stay on the avenue you should be fine.

http://www.thewestbank.org/history
"Minneapolis was founded in 1855, on the west bank of the river, opposite the falls of St Anthony. By 1870, Minneapolis on the west bank and St. Anthony on the east bank formed the largest flour-producing center in the world. Between 1860 and 1900, a thriving community of immigrants from Sweden, Norway, Denmark and northern Germany poured in to settle the Minnesota Territory, many of who worked in the milling and lumber industries on the Mississippi River.

The West Bank neighborhood of Minneapolis has been the place where immigrant energy, radical politics and campus culture collide. That rich, occasionally volatile, history has created one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the Twin Cities. In the 1960s and 1970s, the area attracted hippies, intellectuals, actors, artists and musicians. Presently, the Cedar-Riverside neighborhood boasts the largest community of immigrants in the Twin Cities, continuing a long history of ethnic and cultural diversity."

Now, for Guild guitars and more, the three must-stop Minneapolis/St. Paul dealers are:
http://www.williesguitars.com/
http://www.thepodium.com/
http://www.twintown.com/Store/pc/home.asp

You can search Chicago for Guild dealers here:
http://www.guildguitars.com/dealers/

Cheers and good luck!
Sal

tjmangum

Reaction score
While in Chicago you have to spend an evening at Second City. Seems like about 2/3rds of every comedian known to mankind started out at this institution. Their sketches are always funny, fast and current. This being an election year, they'll show no mercy to either side.
Terry

Ohjay

Reaction score
Thanks guys, some good tips there. :)
I'll make sure to check out that burger joint in Minneapolis. Looks like a great burger :D

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
While in Chicago, be sure to have a REAL Chicago pizza.

Some great museums there, also.

Dave :D

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Ohjay said:
I'll make sure to check out that burger joint in Minneapolis. Looks like a great burger

You will not be disappointed, and also, they have this somewhat large burger that, if you eat it all, they give you a very nice t-shirt.

Have a great trip,

Terry

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Ohjay,

At the risk of sounding like a killjoy, I want to warn you that life in Sweden is no preparation for avoiding crime in America. Please consider doing research on minimizing your exposure to the dangers of American cities.

dh

tjmangum

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Ohjay,

At the risk of sounding like a killjoy, I want to warn you that life in Sweden is no preparation for avoiding crime in America. Please consider doing research on minimizing your exposure to the dangers of American cities.
dh
As the guide books say, there are some parts of urban America that are not "Tourist Friendly". Inquire at your hotel about what the safest ways are to get to your destination and if there are areas or means of transportation they think you should avoid.

charliea

Reaction score
tjmangum said:
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Ohjay,

dh
As the guide books say, there are some parts of urban America that are not "Tourist Friendly". Inquire at your hotel about what the safest ways are to get to your destination and if there are areas or means of transportation they think you should avoid.

Stop by the UK on the way over and spend some time in Manchester or Liverpool. Detroit after dark will seem like a walk in the park.

ladytexan

Reaction score
Ohjay,

We need to get TonyT to get in touch with you. He lives and work in Chicago. He'll know all the really kewl places to go and eat and see. Chi-town is one of my most favorite cities. There's always lots to do and see. You won't be disappointed.

Just a thought, and I don't know if this will work with your itinerary, but if you're going to be in the US the first weekend of October, you could come join us in Connecticut (perhaps on your way to Chicago/Minneapolis) for the Let's Meet Guild (year 3) for the Guild factory tour and other such jammin' and such? Last year the Guild folks had 36 new Guilds for us to 'try out'! Great time!

charliea

Reaction score
bluesypicky said:
Speaking of windy city, how's Isaac been treating you so far Charlie?.....

It's been real quiet, but we're just now getting a good feeder band. Sideways rain. Outhouses and cows flying through the air. Actually looks like a storm. We don't really worry too much about a cat 1. Cleans the streets nicely, though, and gets some of the vagrants out of the mangroves. We'd be happy to buy them tickets to that other windy city, but they don't want to go!

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
charliea said:
bluesypicky said:
Speaking of windy city, how's Isaac been treating you so far Charlie?.....

It's been real quiet, but we're just now getting a good feeder band. Sideways rain. Outhouses and cows flying through the air. Actually looks like a storm. We don't really worry too much about a cat 1. Cleans the streets nicely, though, and gets some of the vagrants out of the mangroves. We'd be happy to buy them tickets to that other windy city, but they don't want to go!

I love you approach! :lol:
We're getting good gusts in PBC now, already 5000 have lost power in the county! :shock: Wonder what it would if we had a hurricane.... :?
Hang in there, keep us (or just me maybe) posted on the progress!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ohjay said:
dapmdave said:
While in Chicago, be sure to have a REAL Chicago pizza.
And what makes a REAL Chicago pizza? :)

The obvious answer is a REAL Chicago pizzeria.

But seriously... it'll look something like this:

Chicago_Style_Pizza.jpg

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
dapmdave said:
Chicago_Style_Pizza.jpg

I'm not big on pizzas (except those with seafood in them), but I have to admit, that's one mean looking pie.... 8) Even makes me hungry!

Ohjay

Reaction score
Darryl Hattenhauer said:
Ohjay,

dh
I'm not so sure about that, there's quite a few iffy areas in Sweden as well ;)
But I've read a bit about areas to avoid, and mostly I think you just have to keep an eye out where you walk and avoid areas that seem ruffy.

charliea said:
tjmangum said:
Stop by the UK on the way over and spend some time in Manchester or Liverpool. Detroit after dark will seem like a walk in the park.
Not quite Manchester, but I spent a lot of time in Stoke-on-Trent a few years back, not sure I want to go back to those areas of the UK :?

ladytexan said:
Ohjay,

We need to get TonyT to get in touch with you. He lives and work in Chicago. He'll know all the really kewl places to go and eat and see. Chi-town is one of my most favorite cities. There's always lots to do and see. You won't be disappointed.

Just a thought, and I don't know if this will work with your itinerary, but if you're going to be in the US the first weekend of October, you could come join us in Connecticut (perhaps on your way to Chicago/Minneapolis) for the Let's Meet Guild (year 3) for the Guild factory tour and other such jammin' and such? Last year the Guild folks had 36 new Guilds for us to 'try out'! Great time!
I won't make it for the LMG I'm afraid, gotta be back at work by then. :(

dapmdave said:
The obvious answer is a REAL Chicago pizzeria.

Chicago_Style_Pizza.jpg
Ah yeah, after replying I did some googling and found out about Chi-towns deep dish pizza. Think that's a must try, as weird as it seems :lol:

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Chicago_Style_Pizza.jpg
[/quote][/quote]
Ah yeah, after replying I did some googling and found out about Chi-towns deep dish pizza. Think that's a must try, as weird as it seems :lol:[/quote]

Also, make sure you have one those real Chicago style Hot dogs.

Terry

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
From personal experience (not a good one); stay off the subway after 6 p.m. Seriously, Chicagoans (Chicagoites) may know exactly where they're going and what not to do but don't be fooled into believing it's o.k. for you.

Also, taking a taxi is a good way to get around. Although it may or may not be obvious that you're a tourist, don't let on that you're clueless about Chicago. Find out how to get to your destination before you get into a taxi.

I've lived in Chicago for a couple of years and it's a great place. So, have fun.

Peace