Perseid meteor showers....anyone?

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I was out on the deck at 3:30 this morning with a cup of coffee, settling in to watch the annual show. All reports indicated the possibility of 100 per hour, but I counted a mere 13. :(

It was still a sweet pre-dawn with Perseus almost directly overhead. Very enjoyable if you're into that sort of thing, astronomically speaking. :wink:

Joe

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mrs. Dread and I are going to lay on the trampoline out in the backyard tonight.

We might even see some meteors :wink:

Hey, It was our 34th anniversary on Aug 10; we always try to catch the Perseids show this time of year. We like to go up north away from the city lights, but that wasn't in the cards for us this year.

Ravon

Reaction score
I always try to catch them every year but I totally forgot last night and was even on the front porch quite a bit but I think it was too hazy anyway and tonight looks like it'll be too cloudy. Hey Joe, put your camera on a tripod, aim it at the North Star and leave the shutter open for a while, I bet you'll capture some images of a meteor. I captured the comet Hale-Bopp on 35mm film a few years back with the camera taped to a fence post and left the shutter open for a couple minutes and it turned out as good as any photo of the comet I've seen. I'll have to take a picture of the picture to show it here but it's pretty cool. I have a 10" (lens) telescope but the drive on it is not accurate enough for astrophotograhy.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ravon said:
Hey Joe, put your camera on a tripod, aim it at the North Star and leave the shutter open for a while,
BTDT: I used to hike up into the mountains to do that on a fairly regular basis and I captured some great star track images.
Places like the Davis Mountains in west Texas, the Sangre de Cristos in northern New Mexico, and the San Francisco Peaks in northern Arizona are excellent spots for that kind of all-night fun. :wink:

Joe

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
The back porch at the Lazy B ain't bad either. Mrs. West and I went out back around midnight and saw several in the 20 or so minutes we spent out there last night.

West

Ravon

Reaction score
killdeer43 said:
Ravon said:
Hey Joe, put your camera on a tripod, aim it at the North Star and leave the shutter open for a while,
BTDT: I used to hike up into the mountains to do that on a fairly regular basis and I captured some great star track images.
Places like the Davis Mountains in west Texas, the Sangre de Cristos in northern New Mexico, and the San Francisco Peaks in northern Arizona are excellent spots for that kind of all-night fun. :wink:

Joe
I figured ya had :wink: BTW whats BTDT?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ravon said:
killdeer43 said:
Ravon said:

Joe
I figured ya had :wink: BTW whats BTDT?

Been there, done that. Often followed by "got the t-shirt".

Ravon

Reaction score
Oh ok :oops: I always have harder time with acronyms than most it seems. Heres a good site to look for dark skies http://www.darksky.org/DSDestinations Some nights my skies at zenith according to the chart can be 6+. Great views sweeping the summer Milky Way with binoculars

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ravon said:
Heres a good site to look for dark skies http://www.darksky.org/DSDestinations Some nights my skies at zenith according to the chart can be 6+. Great views sweeping the summer Milky Way with binoculars
The interactive google map of city lights is great for perspective. One of my favorite places to see birds is in southeastern Oregon and it's as dark at night as the map says it is.

Good stuff, :wink:
Joe

Ravon

Reaction score
killdeer43 said:
Ravon said:
Heres a good site to look for dark skies http://www.darksky.org/DSDestinations Some nights my skies at zenith according to the chart can be 6+. Great views sweeping the summer Milky Way with binoculars
The interactive google map of city lights is great for perspective. One of my favorite places to see birds is in southeastern Oregon and it's as dark at night as the map says it is.

Good stuff, :wink:
Joe
I bet that is awesome! Hopefully I'll soon be visiting one of the darkest sites in the U.S.- Spruce Knob Mtn. in W.Virginia

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hale-Bopp was the best one I've seen. I went up north to escape the city lights and brought my telescope, but that comet was great with just the naked eye.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
dreadnut said:
Hale-Bopp was the best one I've seen. I went up north to escape the city lights and brought my telescope, but that comet was great with just the naked eye.
Ah yes, Hale-Bopp, a.k.a. "the Great Comet of 1997."
I went to a wildlife refuge northwest of town and shot a few photos, but I'd have to dig into the slide archives to find them. :shock:
Until then, I'll commemorate with this one.

halebopp.jpg

I sometimes miss those days when I could stay awake all night. :lol:

Joe

Ravon

Reaction score
That's beautiful Joe. I think what really made Hale-Bopp so special was the additional blue tail and you picked it up perfect

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ravon said:
That's beautiful Joe. I think what really made Hale-Bopp so special was the additional blue tail and you picked it up perfect
Thanks Rav, but I won't claim that one as my own.
As I alluded, all of my shots were back in the days of slides :!: and I'll have to dig into the 'archives' to find mine.
I borrowed this lovely shot from the interweb. :wink:

Still, Hale-Bopp was fun to have around, and I spent a few wonderful nights out just staring at it!

Joe

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
killdeer43 said:
I sometimes miss those days when I could stay awake all night.

I hear ya Joe. After enjoying some beverages around the fire pit, the Mrs. and I went down to the lake and laid on the dock, witnessed a few meteors, fell asleep, woke up shivering and unanimoulsy agreed, the best (safest) place for a couple of old farts, would be in the house.

Terry