Is This A Guild?

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
Neither the headstock nor the pickguard nor the bridge look right to me though all are hard to see. I have no idea what it could be. There were a lot of custom-made and conversions back in the day.

' Strang

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
That 12er was custom made at Harmon Satterlee music in San Francisco, the same place that converted Nick's Martin 4-string to an 8-string and put the double pickguard on Bob's D28. In about 1973, John told me the 12er had been stolen. Many years later, he said in an interview that Guild had offered to build him one, but I don't know when the offer was made, only that the guitar never came to fruition--I forget why it didn't.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Thank you for that link.
I am a born again Kingston Trio fan.
I liked them when I was a very young boy but lost interest in them when the Beatles showed up.
The band that I an currently playing in covers several KT songs.
They have become crowd favorites.
The Trio is still touring but with all new members.
I like what they are doing but it just doesn't sound the same as the original group.

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
http://www.kingstontrioplace.com/ktforum.htm

In my humble but infallible opinion, their best post-1967 work is from about 1990-2000 when Reynolds rejoined for a while and Shane hadn't left yet.The most recent addition, Bill Zorn, is the second best singer they've ever had (nobody is ever going to top Shane). Zorn's solo album is the best CD to come out of the trio in the last ten or fifteen years. He plays bluegrass banjo almost as well as George Grove does. Grove is their best axman of all time. Rick Daugherty has a fine Irish tenor voice, but nobody is ever going to top Nick's harmonizing.

Which of their numbers do you play? I play most of Guard and Stewart's banjo stuff, plus some Stewart guitar numbers.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
We do Green Back Dollar, MTA, Rolling River, Go Down The River, Rolling River, Where Have All The Flowers Gone,
and a great arrangement of Early Morning Rain.
We also sing California Bloodlines, which is a John Stewart song.
I love the harmonies that the Trio produced and that is a big part of what we strive to accomplish.
One thing that we do different from the Trio is that I play a resonator guitar in place of Nick's tenor guitar.
Here we are doing whiskey In The Jar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7abVhKT ... ure=relmfu

Darryl Hattenhauer

Venerated Member
Reaction score
That's really good singing. You could give the trio, the Limeliters, and the Brothers Four a run for their money. BTW, my dad used to live a few miles from Ophir, CA.

What songs do the young people like?

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
We sing some Beatles, Neil Diamond and several Bluegrass songs.
We even do some Dylan. [You Ain't Goin Nowhere]
I have been both surprised and happy with the responses that we get from the younger audiences.

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Very nice, so good to hear real music played on real instruments....I hope it catches on. :wink: Steffan

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Thanks for the nice comments.
I am having a great time playing in this band.
Great bunch of guys and a lot of fun to be with.