Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles - A Guild player too!

Jahn

Reaction score
Of course we all know Susanna Hoffs for her prowess on her Rickenbacker:

hoffs-performing.jpg

But check out what she says here about her gear. Since she's such a big Beatles fan, I wonder if she knows about the Beatles connection to the Starfire XII as well:

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2012/ ... interview/

RCM: A lot of Beatles fans and “gearheads” love to talk about your guitars and amps. Can you talk a bit about that?

SH: I still play the same amp that I bought before The Bangles had any kind of success. It’s a Fender Deluxe and it’s considered a very good amp. It’s a pre-CBS Fender so it has the green light instead of the red light. So I still play it, though I’m sad it’s gotten a teeny bit trashed over the years, but there’s no sound like it. It’s called the “Deluxe Reverb” and I have to tell you, it’s got the best reverb sound. It’s a tube amp so it’s very warm and very cool sounding. It’s a really great one. They’re so expensive now, I’d like to get another one, but I absolutely love it!

I have loads of guitars, like a cool Silvertone bass here, and a Guild Aristocrat from the ’50s that’s absolutely incredible. I have a Guild Starfire 12-string that’s incredible and is on every record that I’ve done. My signature Rickenbacker is a three quarter body and a full-scale neck – it’s the one Rickenbacker made only 250 of in the ’80s. Then I have a John Lennon-style three quarter Rickenbacker, it’s a three quarter neck and three quarter body. I love all those old Beatles-style guitars.

--

Apparently it's a 1965 Starfire XII:

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/2009/07/2 ... -guitar-2/

Susanna Hoffs: It is a sublime sound: sunny, bell-like, beautiful. Twelve-string guitars were used extensively by some of my favorite groups like the Byrds, the Beatles, the Seekers and the Hollies. Just think “Ticket To Ride,” “If I Needed Someone,” “Mr. Tambourine Man,” “I’ll Never Find Another You” and “Look Through Any Window.” I cherish my Rickenbacker 12-strings and also my 1965 Guild Starfire, which has a particularly magical bright and jangly sound.

----

Or maybe it's a '66?

http://www.vintageguitar.com/2943/the-bangles/

What was your first electric 12-string?
It’s a ’66 Guild Starfire, and it has this incredible bright-but-warm sound. The pickups are so loud – it has this warm overdrive. This guitar is so magical that I stopped taking it out on the road. Every guitar player I ever worked with actually went out and tried to find one like it.

On Doll Revolution, there are so many parts I did on that guitar. Every time you hear a bell-like 12-string, it’s that guitar. It just takes you right back to the ’60s, in a way. It’s a vintage sound, but it’s modern, too. I’d say it’s up there as one of my most treasured guitars. I don’t know what I would do without it.

Why were no 12-string guitars used during any of the Bangle performances since the reunion?
I can’t afford to take that Guild out with me. It’s just too precious and too fragile. I’ve actually been on the hunt for a roadworthy 12-string. I really miss having one on the road. I’d use it on tons of stuff. It’s really the only thing I need.

---

Man all of this talk makes me really miss my Starfire XII, even though I just picked up a Ric 360-12!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Right, we had not discussed her before. "mgod" knew it and mentioned it here, he has a 66 and said her's is just a few numbers away from his.
Ralf

Jahn

Reaction score
SFIV1967 said:
Right, we had not discussed her before. "mgod" knew it and mentioned it here, he has a 66 and said her's is just a few numbers away from his.
Ralf

oh my goodness. EBONY Starfire XII? Me wants! mgod didn't post his, but Hans' has a master volume on it too! And Dearmonds, wow!

SFXIIBlack_front.jpg
SFXII_Black.jpg

But don't the D strings look flip flopped, like the octaves are strung up Ric-style?

Jahn

Reaction score
HOLD ON. I think I found it! Look behind her on the wall, it looks like Susanna's Starfire XII is Ebony as well! Or maybe a dark Emerald Green? Argh, GAS ATTACK! And I'm a big fan of those mini HB-1s as y'all know too:

Susanna-Tie-and-Guitar.jpg

Thunderface

Reaction score
Slight veerage here. I was doing a Google Image search to see if I could find Suzanna's 50s Aristocrat, but instead came up with Premier Guitar's Guitars of the Stars, Volume I. They had 32 photos, of which only two had Guilds,

Hank Williams III

HankIII.jpg

and John Baizley of Baroness, who plays an incorrectly identified S-300D.

Baizley.jpg

and now back to your regularly scheduled post.

Jahn

Reaction score
Whoa! There it is! So there's the high likelihood then that Susanna Hoff's Starfire XII is also an Ebony. Man, I actually had a quick mental calculator going on in my head to see if I could "make it happen" for that ballpark, but I struck out. :|

DSCN6457.JPG
DSCN6456.JPG

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Since several of those pictures are of mgod's XII (which I hosted for him and are still there) folks should realize that it was for sale a while back and to the best of my knowledge did not sell so might still be available.

Edit: Nothing new here. Move along. I just didn't read Ralf's post as carefully as I could have.

Jahn

Reaction score
Hmm, so then is it safe to say that aside from John Lennon, Susanna Hoffs is the most notable player of a Guild Starfire XII? I mean, Lennon is in like two known pics with his, and not known to actually record with it (maybe fooled with it a bit at home?), while Susanna actually used hers on all her projects and treasures it so much that she only uses it in the studio now.

Edit - oh, Pat Metheny makes for a good argument for being the most famous player of the XII:

http://hepcat1950.com/pmiv8112.html

Did you have to alter your technique much?
Yeah. Obviously, it's a little harder to play a 12-string than a 6-string. The hardest part about it was tuning it up with the vibes [laughs] - that was a real problem. I went crazy for the first couple of months. The first 12-string was a Fender Coronado - I couldn't have picked a worse one. Then I finally got a Guild Starfire 12-string that made life a lot easier; I still use it.

--

http://jazzonline.com/cool-stuff/vintage-metheny.html

“Icefire (featured on the album Watercolors) was like the tune San Lorenzo, based on the idea of taking an electric 12 string guitar and totally restringing it with light gauge unwound strings – tuning them in fourths and fifths to each other in their pairs, and essentially making a ‘pentatonic/diatonic’ tuning of the open strings. With that tuning in place – the piece was in fact totally improvised with a few preplanned signposts along the way – but, there was not a lot of room to move harmonically within that tuning’s vocabulary. I used a Guild Starfire electric 12 string. (The same one I had used with the pairs tuned in unison with a conventional tuning with Gary Burton on his record Dreams So Real).” – Pat Metheny

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Jahn said:
Hmm, so then is it safe to say that aside from John Lennon, Susanna Hoffs is the most notable player of a Guild Starfire XII? I mean, Lennon is in like two known pics with his, and not known to actually record with it (maybe fooled with it a bit at home?), while Susanna actually used hers on all her projects and treasures it so much that she only uses it in the studio now. Edit - oh, Pat Metheny makes for a good argument for being the most famous player of the XII:
That guitar was actually presented to the Beatles as a band, but more to the point, as you say, we're not even aware of any known recordings of it by any of 'em.
I'd take a wild guess that the Bangles as a band are actually more well known than Mr. Metheny due to their pop hits. But that may be changing a bit as they fade from "currency".
I've loved 'em ever since the first indie ep, and even listened to "Doll Revolution" in the car on the way to work just last week, cripes it's already about 9 years old! And when I was looking at the writing credits, the tunes I liked the best were hers.
No wonder I always liked Hoff's tunes and and expecially that sound--makes so much more sense now!! :lol:

Zelja

Reaction score
Thanks for all the links Jahn. I dug The Bangles & Matthew Sweet & really like the Sweet/Hoffs collaboration discs - they cover some great songs & do them justice.

Although Susanna is mostly known for her Rics it's great to see the affinity she has for the Guild brand.