literary reference to Guild

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Right now I'm reading Jeffery Deaver's new suspense novel, "XO". If you like suspense, he is highly recommended!

It's about a young country star (ala Taylor Swift) who has a stalker, people get killed, etc., etc.

Anyway, her father Bishop is an old country star himself, sort of washed up now, but still a force. So he visits her in her house:

"Bishop leaned forward and snagged one of the guitars his daughter kept in her living room, an old Guild, with a thin neck and golden spruce top, producing a ringing tenor. He played Elizabeth Cotton’s version of “Freight Train”."

I'm almost afraid to ask - what model would it be?

walrus

Jahn

Reaction score
Hmm could be a 50s T-100 Slim Jim? Dunno about those really but I know the Starfires prior to the late 60s had pretty skinny necks...

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Even my D64 has a pretty skinny neck. I'm not sure there's enough information there to hazard a guess! Kind of interesting that Guild was mentioned, though.

walrus

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
walrus said:
Kind of interesting that Guild was mentioned, though.

Slight veer, but I was talking to Mrs. Fro's guitar teacher yesterday whose undergraduate major was classical guitar performance, and he said the only Guild he had ever played was hers. He was aware of Guild as a solid, "bang for the buck choice" compared to Martin and Gibson. So maybe the author of XO was trying to suggest some kind of informed practicality and independence buy dropping the brand name but really had no specific model in mind. Just wanted to say something about the character who chose Guild instead of one of them other brands.