Elderly Instruments

idealassets

Reaction score
I will watch the entire article when I have time. Elderly is a great retail instrument store. So far I disagree with the first 2 minutes of this, because unless something has changed, you really cannot just "walk in and play Martin guitars from the 1930's and 1940's", unless its a rare exception, or a lesser model Martin guitar.

However you can see and play a great selection of all brands of new and slightly used guitars, and a few really older Gibson guitars and mandolins (as usual just about everywhere).

Regardless I always enjoy a trip to Elderly, but I do my shopping with discretion, because really- I can't buy them all! (As much as I may really want to)

Craig

kitniyatran

Reaction score
Just watched/listened through the whole thing, as I received the e-mail from Elderly with the link; I wondered about getting it posted here, good on ya, squiirrelfood cafe(aka Chris)!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great place to spend an afternoon. Impromptu jams have been known to break out at any minute in the guitar room or the mando/banjo/etc. room.

When we go to Lansing, I drop Mrs. Dread off at the mall, and I go to Elderly. It's a risky proposition either way :lol:

I have been able to walk in Elderly and play Martin D-45's, as well as several high-end Guilds, Taylors, Huss & Daltons, Collings, Gibsons, Froggy Bottoms, and others. Some vintage instruments are usually hanging on the back wall of the acoustic guitar room that you can take down and play, usually really high-end archtops with price tags up to $15-20K including a sweet '66 Artist Award that I played once.

Last time I was there I think they had six D-45's to choose from, new and used. They also had a "Car Talk" model Martin as well as several other special Martin issues; i.e., Clarence White, Jim Croce, etc.

And that's just the acoustic guitar room. :D

In another room you can play vintage Gibson mandos, Collings mandos, Gibson Mastertone banjos, Ukes, Mandolas, Bazoukis, you name it. And that's just the stuff they have out on the shop floor.

On the main room they have solid body electrics, hollow bodies including the occasional Starfire and usually a couple ES335's in the $5-6K range, and electric basses.

And a smaller room for members of the fiddle family.

This place is string-lovers' Mecca, and yes, you can play anything that's hanging around :D

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Towards the end of the video they show the lock room for 10k+ instruments. They are kept in their cases. I wonder how available for pickin they are. The most expensive instrument they had was a 250k Gibson Loar era (I'm guessing) F-style mando. :shock:
(I checked Gruhn's site and he's advertising a couple of Loar signed mandos for under 200k. What a bargain :!: )

idealassets

Reaction score
I wonder how available for pickin they are
If you ask nicely, you can play these instruments. I usually explain that I propose to fingerpick with my bare fingers.

This is really s good documentary, especailly that it depicts the feel that you get when you visit the store; that of being on the honor system to look and play some truly nice instruments on the display racks. Of course most customers will never see all the employee only rooms, so it was good to see that in this video.

Last year, I felt totally positive vibes when paying Elderly's price to get a guitar that I really liked, a 2007 Guid D55. The deal left me feeling so upbeat, that I even felt good about paying the 6% MI State tax. I was able to walk out the store at that intstant, with my "new" guitar, and play it at home that same night.

Craig

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm a fan of Elderly in my limited exposure to online stuff.... but that is one LONG A$$ video!! They seem to make the same point over and over. After a while, I just lost interest. Maybe if they edited it down a bit it would have more impact..... :roll:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
davismanLV said:
I'm a fan of Elderly in my limited exposure to online stuff.... but that is one LONG A$$ video!! They seem to make the same point over and over. After a while, I just lost interest. Maybe if they edited it down a bit it would have more impact..... :roll:
I could have done without the repeated clips of the performers in the shop. Instead, show a few shots of customers trying out instruments. That would have saved 15 minutes, at least.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
AcornHouse said:
davismanLV said:
I could have done without the repeated clips of the performers in the shop. Instead, show a few shots of customers trying out instruments. That would have saved 15 minutes, at least.
Totally agree!!! :D

idealassets

Reaction score
I could have done without the repeated clips of the performers in the shop
Yes, thats wierd. The performances don't really happen that often, and it could have been mentioned that it is usually a performance/ training seminar structure that costs $40 to attend.

Another thing that I found unusual is that these employees seemed to be depicted as indie airheads, and thats not the impression I get when I go there. Also there was only 1 person + the owner that I recognized, meaning this may be an old re-run (or something).

Regardless it doesn't change my opinion on anything, since this was most likely a public television production created by a local college.

Craig

samriggle

Reaction score
Great store to look and play. I would never ever give them my money however! I was shopping for a uke and they had several on order, they told me it would cost me 100.00$ for them to let me know when the instuments arrived from Hawaii. I instead purchased one from a Luthier in Hawaii. Kimo Jones is the luthier his instruments are all one of a kind. I love mine and am really glad that Elderly Music has such poor customer relations! Really a cool place to spend spair time and also, the have some very talented techs working there.

Sam

kitniyatran

Reaction score
I enjoyed the performances; they're probably a big part of why I endured the entire over 55 minutes.