In the wake of Isaac

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If you're a weather junkie like me, you're probably tuned in to the Weather Channel, watching the weather kids (Al, Jim, Stephanie, et al) cavorting in the wind and rain. They're 'loving the action' big time....probably happy to be out of the studio. :wink:

One thing that interests me is that no one has mentioned this book:

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/isaacsstorm/

This is a well-written account of the BIG storm that hit Galveston, TX, in 1900. For the weather fans, there are good links to hurricanes in general.

Joe

Ravon

Reaction score
I would have liked to have seen Vivian get wet :twisted: :wink:
  • I hate it when it shows that you've edited :wink:

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Since it's veered to Galveston, my wife gave me "The Great Galveston Disaster" for Christmas a while back. Written by Paul Lister, published in 1900; an excellent read.

222221.jpg
222227.jpg

222233.jpg

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I doubt Al, Jim or Stephanie would be anywhere other than a bomb shelter in a "Camille" type hurricane. Though I like the Weather Channel, I think sometimes they try very hard to make big news out of relatively minor storms. And not to diminish a couple of feet of rain, but in the scheme of major weather events......well, you've got to keep this one in perspective. Though Katrina gets all the press, Galveston has seen it's share of dramatic storms in the likes of the 1900 hurricane (killed 6000), Ike (the second costliest hurricane to hit the U.S.), Carla (a stong Cat 4/Cat5) and the like. I can remember as a kid, going to the Houston ship channel to see the Battleship Texas and looking at this line painted on a wall WAY over my head which showed the water line during Hurricane Carla.........an unbelieveable sight as I was standing 1/4 mile from the water which was way down there. But Hurricane Camille......now that was a storm.

We're getting some great winds and a few sprinkles with this one.........it's cooled temps rather nicely.

West