Greenish-brown stain

scott

Reaction score
I have used humidifiers for many years-Dampits(green tube), a greenish-brown stain appeared on edge of sound hole of Gibson my j250 about a week ago. Looks like it came from tin closer on end. It also looks like it could be mold or something else organic . I am very concerned it might spread-about the size of pencil eraser right now. Looks bad but I am more concerned about structural integrity being compromised. Best guitar I have ever played or owned. This has never happened on any other instruments. I really need advice and any info anyone has. I have been on this forum for many years and have never read anything like this!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Scott

poser

Reaction score
...Looks like it came from tin closer on end....

What have you observed that makes you suspect this?

A picture two would help.

Have you noticed if the stain on the guitar gotten any larger?

Ravon

Reaction score
Maybe try and wipe it off with a light bleach/H2O mixture, let it set for a minute then wipe off with a damp cloth with water only and dry.

scott

Reaction score
Hi Again- Hard to tell if it is getting larger; the spot was right underneath the metal seal on the dampit-I am just assuming the connection. It is actually under the finish and in the wood; I will try a picture have not had much luck. Did wonder if bleach or hydrogen peroxide would help. Thanks for such quick responses-info and ideas are very helpful.

Ravon

Reaction score
Without seeing any pics my feeling is that the wood reacted with the metal (or vise versa) and is more a stain than just mold. The bleach mix may remove that as well but if the stains too deep I'd leave it alone as it shouldn't progress with the dampit off. It's in the inside of the guitar right?

scott

Reaction score
Thanks Ravon- gonna try some bleach and water tonight; will report later. Anymore ideas or suggestions??

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sounds like mold to me. The time of year is exactly right and the moisture situation supports that too.

scott

Reaction score
Hi - Any ideas on how to get rid of it? I tried bleach and water earlier tonight and nothing much happened unless it takes a couple of days to notice anything. Thanks

poser

Reaction score
If it's a stain from the clip, then it's some sort of metallic compound and bleach will do no good. The bleach may even lighten the finish if the top has been stained; I'd be judicious in how you use it.

If it's from the clip, there may not be much you can do, but then, it probably won't get larger or hurt anything.
Do you see anything green on the clip where it would have been in contact with the guitar?

How do you think it got under the finish? Did it soak through from the unfinished side of the wood?

It's hard to diagnose the problem without more information.

scott

Reaction score
Hi- It is the strangest thing I have ever seen- used dampits for many years. It looks like it is under the finish to me.I feel as though the tin closer is the culprit. I am going to try to contact violin makers and guitar luthiers too. Thank you for your input. Anymore ideas???????????????????

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I used a Dampit for my Yamaha L-20A until I noticed a reaction from the Dampit to the soundhole.
The guitar now has a small area where the finish has gone darker than the rest of the finish.
I believe this is a reaction between the lacquer and the rubber that the Dampit is made from.

I also have an ugly reaction on the headstock of the Yamaha from using a Kyser Capo.
You can't even read the name Yamaha any more. I contacted Kyser by email several times about the reaction with no response back.

"Caution"
If you have a guitar that has a lacquer finish, don't use either a Dampit or a Kyser Capo with it.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
scott said:
Looks like it came from tin closer on end.
Scott: Are you fixing the Dampit with the metal clip to the wood of the soundhole??? That is wrong! It should not at all touch the soundhole but just hang in the middle of the soundhole fixed between the D and G strings, but not touching the edge of the soundhole.
See: http://www.taylorguitars.com/global/pdf ... t_hits.pdf
Please post a picture how you mounted the Dampit usually.
Ralf