It's football season how 'bout a little nostalgia

CA-35

Reaction score
picture024q.jpg

I bought this lithograph at a garage sale in my neighborhood this weekend. It's titled "Superbowl XX a celebration of MVP'S"

They are the first 17 MVP's of the first 20 superbowls (Montana, Starr and Bradshaw each won twice, then Montana actually went on after XX to win another MVP in XXIV)

Standing Willie Joe Namath, Marcus Allen, John Riggins, Randy White, Jimmy Plunkett, Bart Starr, Roger "The Dodger" Staubach, Lenny Dawson, Joe Montana, Jake Scott, Freddy Biletnikoff,

Kneeling Harvey Martin, Franco "The Immaculate Catch" Harris, Lynn Swann, Terry Bradshaw, Larry Csonka, Chuck Howley.

I grew up watching these fellers, those were the days my friends.

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
:shock: No Fran Tarkington? (sp)
No Gary Cuaso? Where's Roman Gabriel? Deacon Jones?
Tom Dempsey ( Saints player with stubbed foot, kicked a 63 yard field goal!) and whattabout that slippery Lil Brian Piccolo?
Ok, not superbowl MVP's but what a start to a team! :D

drc

Reaction score
I want that!! Growing up as a young boy in the 70's I collected football cards and that pic brings back such great memories for me! VERY COOL

CA-35

Reaction score
southernGuild said:
:shock: No Fran Tarkington? (sp)
No Gary Cuaso? Where's Roman Gabriel? Deacon Jones?
Tom Dempsey ( Saints player with stubbed foot, kicked a 63 yard field goal!) and whattabout that slippery Lil Brian Piccolo?
Ok, not superbowl MVP's but what a start to a team! :D

I hear ya SouthernGuild; Johnny Unitas, Tom Matte, Jim Brown, Joe Kapp, Jack Tatum, Bob Hayes, Gayle Sayers, Chuck Foreman, Dave Casper, George Blanda, Billy Kilmer, Sonny Jurgenson, Bubba Smith, Ted Hendricks, Jack Ham.......but it's Superbowl MVP'S my brotha! 8) :shock: :D :roll:

learnintoplay62

Reaction score
Is that Randy White standing next to mad man Riggins. Man he was nasty on the field. I saw him a couple of years ago with many other former players ( can't remember who they where )that where on the field before a super bowl and I felt sorry for the shape he was in. He gave his all and it tore him up physically. Still I loved all of those payers. It seems the older I get the less I can relate to the game ( and I'm not that old )
Ahhh, memories

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
[quote="CA-35 Johnny Unitas, Tom Matte, Jim Brown, Joe Kapp, Jack Tatum, Bob Hayes, Gayle Sayers, Chuck Foreman, Dave Casper, George Blanda, Billy Kilmer, Sonny Jurgenson, Bubba Smith, Ted Hendricks, Jack Ham......:[/quote]
:wink: Yep, Thats what I'm talking about CA........Some Mighty mighty names you invoke there!
I Loved watching those guys.
I still have my football card collection too. :oops:

silverfox103

Reaction score
Being a Boston native, I am Patriot fan, who originally were the Boston Patriots. I know they talk about Brady, Montana and Peyton as the best all time quarterbacks. It kind of amazes me that you never hear any mention of Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to 4 Superbowl victories. Only one other guy has done that and that is Montana. Yeah, I know it was Pittsburgh's defense and he probably doesn't help by acting like a "Bubba" on tv, but still 4 Superbowls and you seldom hear his name mentioned. Granted, he was not as polished as they other guys in the quarterback department, but he was tough, smart and savy....and a winner.

Tom C.

Thunderface

Reaction score
History was much kinder to the Buffalo Bills, losers of four consecutive Super Bowls, than they were to the former Vikings, the first team to lose four Super Bowls. Of course, the Vikings haven't been since they lost their fourth to the Raiders in 1977.

learnintoplay62

Reaction score
Yes Bradshaw to me was the best. He might have had a great defense, but they were never on the field at the same time :shock: And, as any fan will tell you it is defense that wins the big ones.

CA-35

Reaction score
silverfox103 said:
Being a Boston native, I am Patriot fan, who originally were the Boston Patriots. I know they talk about Brady, Montana and Peyton as the best all time quarterbacks. It kind of amazes me that you never hear any mention of Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to 4 Superbowl victories. Only one other guy has done that and that is Montana. Yeah, I know it was Pittsburgh's defense and he probably doesn't help by acting like a "Bubba" on tv, but still 4 Superbowls and you seldom hear his name mentioned. Granted, he was not as polished as they other guys in the quarterback department, but he was tough, smart and savy....and a winner.Tom C.

learnintoplay62 said:
Yes Bradshaw to me was the best. He might have had a great defense, but they were never on the field at the same time :shock: And, as any fan will tell you it is defense that wins the big ones.

Spot on Tom and learnintoplay62! Bradshaw was the toughest quarterback, if not the best, to ever play the game. The old story that "he couldn't spell CAT if you spotted him the c and the t" is far from the truth. Love Terry! And yes that is Randy White standing nxt to Riggins Learnintoplay63.

Don't forget Dan Fouts and Dan Marino. Brady (in my mind) stands above all post 2000.

jmac

Reaction score
Being a kid from Buffalo in the 1970's, OJ Simpson was my sports hero, and Larry Csonka was my anti-hero. Looking back now I recognize that OJ was obviously the better runner and athlete, but Larry was AWESOME the way he could push the entire line of defensive and offensive linemen forward three or four yards. Not exactly what you'd call "pretty" football, but a remarkable display of power. I love watching Larry Csonka footage.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Well "How bout those Cowboys" beating the World Champions 24-17. :) , at their house!

West