Buddy Holly's Birthday Today...

6L6

Reaction score
He would have turned 76 today.

It's hard to imagine what he might have done in the years after his death. His musical thoughts had him so far ahead of his times.

Buddy's insistence on recording some songs with the New York Symphony backing him up ("True Love Ways", "It's Raining",etc.) wouldn't be matched for many years until Pink Floyd and The Beatles took notice and did the same.

We saluted Buddy's music at our weekly Open Mic last night. For my set I played "Rock Around with Ollie Vee", "Think It Over", and "Oh Boy!". My axe of choice last night was my new Martin D-18.

It was a great night.

If you play out and want to put a smile on peoples' faces, just play Buddy's music. It works EVERY time!

Here's Buddy playing "Rock Around with Ollie Vee". It was penned by his close friend, Sonny Curtis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esSH-BDOqeQ

Bill

kitniyatran

Reaction score
I agree that he was ahead of his time; a really incredible songwriter and arranger, singer, player & all around musical artist.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
In his short time as a recording artist, Buddy Holly arguably influenced the music scene as much or more than any other artist.
I can only imagine how much more he had to offer.