Be prepared!!

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
I use a Herco heavy thumbpick.
dunlop.jpg

I almost always have one in my pocket. You never know when a guitar might find it's way into your hands. Last night Mrs keel and I went to a local cafe for a bite to eat and some music. The performer is a friend and I was not surprised when she asked me to play a few tunes. I reach into my pocket and nothing. No pick. :oops: :oops: OY!! So I wind up with a strange guitar and bare fingers. It's amazing how awkward that felt. I played 3-4 songs, but it just felt so odd.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I keep an extra pick in my car...

So far, I've only used it when going into music stores!

walrus

Ravon

Reaction score
That
evenkeel said:
I use a Herco heavy thumbpick.
dunlop.jpg

I almost always have one in my pocket. You never know when a guitar might find it's way into your hands. Last night Mrs keel and I went to a local cafe for a bite to eat and some music. The performer is a friend and I was not surprised when she asked me to play a few tunes. I reach into my pocket and nothing. No pick. :oops: :oops: OY!! So I wind up with a strange guitar and bare fingers. It's amazing how awkward that felt. I played 3-4 songs, but it just felt so odd.
That looks like the shape I would be comfortable with in a thumbpick but it looks a bit convex. I've always wanted to be proficient with a thumb pick but only have tried a few in the past. One of the problems I had from using a thumbpick was my up-strokes. I'm real comfortable playing my 2.mm Dunlop regular shaped flat pick but I can't do both at the same time very well and need to give thumbpicking a go again.

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
:roll: I'll have to check out one of those picks. I normally fingerpick and seldom use a pick, but that can be limiting at times, and the normal thumbpicks and I haven't clicked either.
Those look like an interesting option.
Thanks for the notice.

griehund

Reaction score
Flat pick & 2 fingers or else I get confuseded. Over and over. :oops:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I leave trails of picks behind, like golf tees. :lol:

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
I guess we all get wedded to certain picks, strings, heck even guitars. Change one little thing and it's very unsettling. For me the Herco "feels" a bit like a flat pick when I grip it that way, but then also works as a thumb pic. Very helpful for those songs that go back and forth between picking, strumming and/or flat picking.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Bare, well-conditioned thumb and well-trimmed/manicured nails on my index and middle fingers....take 'em with me wherever I go. Works for me.

Like a true boy scout emeritus, I'm always prepared, :wink:
Joe

griehund

Reaction score
Tried two finger picks awhile ago and acquired a huge dislike for them. They were ugly brass things that I could bend to fit but I found I was incredibly clumsy with them and lost interest. They were just ok with my D40 but impossible on the little mother. Freddie King does alright with them so it's probably my impatience and AADD. :)

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
griehund said:
Tried two finger picks awhile ago and acquired a huge dislike for them. They were ugly brass things that I could bend to fit but I found I was incredibly clumsy with them and lost interest. They were just ok with my D40 but impossible on the little mother. Freddie King does alright with them so it's probably my impatience and AADD. :)

And this guy used 'em pretty good on 12 strings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAejkh4rTjs

Like playing with mittens on for me.

griehund

Reaction score
evenkeel said:
griehund said:

And this guys used 'em pretty good on 12 strings.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAejkh4rTjs

Like playing with mittens on for me.

My fingers are yelling at me "take em off, take em off" For every one who can't there's a ton of folks who can. What's that song about Guitar pickers in Nashville? :lol:

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA

satts

Reaction score
can I just dive in here and ask. Does anybody play bluegrass with fingerpicks?

I am a late convert to flatpicking and have been a fingerpicker most of my life (no thumbpick).

So when I decided to learn flatpicking I tried the pick, didn't go to well. Then thumbpick as a plectrum. Then just fingers. Not too good. Then thumbpick and fingers. Then thumb and fingerpicks. This wasn't actually too bad, as I was quite used to this being a steel player. The tone was more even and very loud. And crosspicking was a breeze. I think I could have continued with this and made a fair fist of it.

But I hadn't completely abandoned the plectrum and finally settled on the plectrum and left the picks for steel. But I was wondering if there have been any successful bluegrass players who do use picks. Not pickers who can play bit of bluegrass but dedicated bluegrass pickers using fingerpicks.

Chris