Don't look now....

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
....but I think fall is sneaking up on us. :shock:

013nj.jpg

Vine maple

High today, 62. September cool is upon us and we're lovin' it!

Joe

Ravon

Reaction score
I can't wait for the Fall colors and temps :) ! Seems we're about 20 deg. warmer than you Joe, but our nights are dipping in the low 50's. I'm pretty clueless of the flora/fauna of the PNW. Just what are the predominate evergreen and deciduous trees in your area sir? (I've just always been interested in trees you see :) )

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ravon said:
Just what are the predominate evergreen and deciduous trees in your area sir? (I've just always been interested in trees you see :) )
Western red cedar and Douglas fir are the top evergreens, with big leaf maple and red alder topping the list of deciduous trees.

I'm a big tree fan, too! :wink:

Joe

CA-35

Reaction score
killdeer43 said:
....but I think fall is sneaking up on us.
High today, 62. September cool is upon us and we're lovin' it! Joe

Fall is upon us in South Fla too Joe; I think it was a tad below 90 today. :D

I love trees as well although I lean toward the palms: Bismarcks, Foxtails, Robellini, Sago, Bottles and Spindles.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
[quote="killdeer43....
Western red cedar and Douglas fir are the top evergreens, with big leaf maple and red alder topping the list of deciduous trees.

Joe[/quote]

From time to time some interesting big leaf maple shows up in a load of firewood & I can't bring myself to cut it up into stovewood.

211547.jpg
213007.jpg

Ravon

Reaction score
killdeer43 said:
Ravon said:
Just what are the predominate evergreen and deciduous trees in your area sir? (I've just always been interested in trees you see :) )

Joe
Good to know Joe! Finally with the help of this http://www.amazon.com/National-Audubon- ... 0394507606 I've finally identified all species of trees (25 acres wooded) on my place... I think. I had a tough time identifying one of the more common ones around here though, the Sparkleberry Tree (or 'Huckleberry Tree'). The evergreens on my place are Eastern Red Cedar followed by Yellow Pine. Deciduous? Too many to do a census, but a wide variety!

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ravon said:
Too many to do a census, but a wide variety!
Variety is good, the spice of life, actually, and I have a feeling that those 25 acres provide a home for a nice variety of critters, as well.

All kinds of censuses waiting for the census taker. :wink:

Enjoy,
Joe

Ravon

Reaction score
killdeer43 said:
Variety is good, the spice of life, actually, and I have a feeling that those 25 acres provide a home for a nice variety of critters, as well.

Enjoy,
Joe
Yes, makes those walks so much more interesting when you know what the heck your looking at.... and allergic to.... or what just bit you... :lol:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ravon said:
killdeer43 said:

Enjoy,
Joe
Yes, makes those walks so much more interesting when you know what the heck your looking at.... and allergic to.... or what just bit you... :lol:
Knowledge is power! :?:

Joe

Thunderface

Reaction score
211547.jpg
213007.jpg

I see wood grain like this and I can't help but thing it would make for some good project instrument bodies.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I believe that's called "spalting".

Ibanez has made some spectacular-looking "exotic wood" series guitars with (laminated) spalted maple. In solid-wood form, though, spalted wood is potentially problematic. At least that's my understanding.

Thunderface

Reaction score
Indeed it is. I had an Michael Kelly Hourglass Ltd. that had a spalted maple top with matching headstock veneer. Kinda wish I still had it.

IMG_8937.jpg

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh yes, that stuff is not good in guitar sized planks. You either need to laminate it to something more stable or cut it super thick. Spalted maple is usually less dense and less stable than the "green" wood around it because the spalting is actually the beginning of good-old fashioned death rot. The black lines are caused by bacteria eating away through natural fissures in the wood.

I have several blocks in my art studio from my dabblings in Knifemaking. Knifmakers have solved the stability problem by putting blocks of spalted maple in a vacuum chamber and soaking them in liquid acrylic. The process is called "stabilizing". A 5" x 1" x 2" block of stabilized spalted maple runs anywhere from $25 to $60 depending on the quality.

poser

Reaction score
I tried to stabilize a crumbly rock once by putting it in some warm epoxy inside a vacuum chamber. But I lowered the pressure too much and the epoxy started to boil. :roll:
Boy was that a mess.