John B Sebastian

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great link, dread! He is a great songwriter and singer - I loved and still love his first solo album - "Red Eye Express", "You're a Big Boy Now", "Magical Connection". His voice and playing could be so mellow and relaxing.

walrus

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
In the 1970's it seemed like he was the opening act for just about anyone who played Rochester N.Y. I think I saw him 5 or 6 times in four years and he was not someone I would have gone to see if he were the headliner.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I thought he was great back in the day. Seems very genuine.

Dave :D

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
killdeer43 said:
I've been a big fan of his for many years.
Interesting tidbit about John is that his father was a classical harmonica player.
Joe
:shock: Classical harmonica player?
G
Guess there could be worse-paying occupations. Like classical banjo player maybe? :lol:
Ok, kidding aside you got me so curious I had to google it and lo and behold, his daddy's actually mentioned here:
http://www.ksanti.net/free-reed/history/harmonica.html
Says Villa-Lobos even composed for him... :eek:
Dang who'da thunk?
In fact, now I gotta wonder...who really played the harmonica solo on "Daydream"?
:lol:

Ross

Reaction score
Guild Total
The synergy between John Sebastian, Steve Boone, Joe Butler and the one-and-only Zal Yanovsky made the Lovin' Spoonful one of the best bands of the 60s.

And they played Guilds! :D

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
JS played several times at our school while I was in college in the early 70's, just solo...fantastic shows, really great time.

I think Martin Mull opened for him on one concert...

eltuce

Reaction score
This may fall on deaf ears but I love how Slade was such a dedicated band, learning everything that might be a hit and doing anything to make it. They knocked this one out of the park. I love both versions, but I am a sucker for Noddy's voice. I think they really took it to a new level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm7gJzbI6is