What was the first album you ever bought?

CA-35

Reaction score
The year was 1976, I was 16, and the first album I ever bought was Loggins and Messina's 1973 album "Full Sail"

51%2BeUYSlDmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Still my favorite album of all time bar none. Kenny's voice and Jimmy's picking on the guitar and the mandolin, John Clarke and Al Garth on everything wind, Merel Bregante on drums, Micheal Omartian on keyboards.

Here's a great clip of "Watching the River Run" Watch them pluck the strings and look at the size of Jim's jumbo, it's bigger than he is!!
http://youtu.be/Ula4AHBqLMg

Kap'n

Reaction score
Ahh, Yacht Rock.

First records I bought simultaneously were Revolver (probably a decade old at the time) and a repackage of Monty Python's Previous Record/Another Monty Python Album.

I haven't progressed much past that.

poser

Reaction score
Whoa, I'm not rightly sure. That was a looong time ago.

Among the first was HELP!; brand new; mono, as I we didn't have a stereo at that point.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Anton Dvorak, the new world symphony was my first LP.
My first non classical LP was a double live with Sydney Bechet and Mezz Mezzrow called "Blues with Bechet".

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
It was either Santana Abraxis, or Elton John's Tumbleweed Connection. I'll take that back........probably The Ventures.

West

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
TheBeatlesSecondAlbumreissuecover.jpg

In 1964. I was 9. As I recall, it cost $3.99... about 2 months of my allowance.

Added: my first ever album was "Meet the Beatles," given to me by the neighbor next door.

Sal

Reaction score
My first was the Monkees - Headquarters, and it was a Christmas gift. But the first record that I bought myself was CCR - Cosmo's Factory. Still a favorite!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The first one that I remember as truly mine, was in '69. I has won an essay contest in second grade and as a reward, I got 'Abbey Road'.

I'm sure I had others earlier, some Monkees probably, but that's the one that I remember.

TonyT

Reaction score
Or the Dave Clark Five. Or maybe The Spencer Davis Group- I still love "I'm A Man.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Okay, this isn't anything other than a chronological and evolutionary thing.... I'd bought many singles before. The very first album was "Where Did Our Love Go" by the Supremes, in 1964. With the release of this album, The Supremes became the first act in Billboard magazine history to have three number-one hits from the same album. It was the album that introduced "The Motown Sound" to the masses. It was also, at the time, the highest ranking album by an all female group. It remained in the #2 position for 4 weeks, in January 1965, remaining on the Billboard charts for an unprecedented 89 weeks. I was 11 years old. Just a bit later that year, I bought "A Hard Days Night" by The Beatles. I guess I've been all over the charts, musically, ever since..... :) :)

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
I'm a bit ashamed of my answer, because, even though I had numerous great singles and albums aquired from older siblings and those that were given to me as gifts, ( Hot August Night comes to mind) my first 'purchase' I remember well. It was 1973, and I was 12 years old. I assembled my pocket money to buy Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies. :oops:
I remember being the first in my neighborhood to have it, and friends coming around to listen to it and ponder over the packaging.
Still have that album.
Oh well, at least it wasn't the Partridge Family's "Family album".
That one was a gift! I swear! :lol:

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Around 1960, I was learning guitar from Jerry Silverman's book, the Folksinger's Guitar Guide. In it there's a little article mentioning important folksingers, and it included Leadbelly. It may also have mentioned Joan Baez, but I knew her from TV's Hootenanny show anyhow. So, Leadbelly, Sings for Young People, I think was the title, and this Joan Baez LP: http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Most-Exc ... B002LUDNAQ
The first record I ever got, was a Christmas present when we got our first non-78 record player, probably 1957 or so, it was a collection of cowboy songs by the Sons of the Pioneers. I still have all three.
Brad

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
"Turn, Turn, Turn" The Byrds. Still a fan.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure! I think it was "Magical Mystery Tour", but it could have been another Beatles album. I'm sure it was the Beatles, otherwise my memory is simply eluding me.

I'm impressed you guys can remember - there's a few decades in there that are rather "blurry" for me...

walrus

griehund

Reaction score
Too long ago to be sure but I'll say it was something by the Everly Brothers. Late 50's, early 60's.
I believe it was this one.
Everly.jpg

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
My first purchase was a single by Herman's Hermits.
My first album wasn't an album but rather an eight track.
I got several when I got the player. CCR was one of them.
I don't remember what else.

Ravon

Reaction score
Bought Deep Purple's 'Made in Japan' in '74 with my lawn mowing money.