my visit to S.Ash and GC

learnintoplay62

Reaction score
Hey all. After work I spent an hour or so at the stores which are only about 100 yards away from each other. Sam as has a new Guild section with the glowing sign and the hanging logo which was cool. They only had the Gad series in stock of which were hanging a d150( it had 2 id's on one label )and an M125. They looked pretty but I wasn't overly impressed , however I couldn't really hear anything because it was crowded. They also had a used Dc1e ( true american ) so I gave it some playing time. I was a little disappointed since the strings were about 20 years old and felt like barbed wire :shock: Either way it was very quiet but was in pretty good shape. So I meander Over to GC and make my way back to the expensive room and found a beautiful 212. Man, when I strummed that guitar I think I heard angels sing. It was only 799.00 but the the saddle was low and the action was high so it definitely needed a good going over. I played a pretty cool Larivee 09 ? that was beautiful sounding and at 1399.00 seemed like a good deal. They had the usual Martins, Taylors, Gibbys. The taylors were impressive as each model did sound notably different from each other, they're just not my thing. The Martins o.k. in general but they had a sweet ooommv ( GC brand ). The Gibby's sounded fantastic and were beautifully finished. Very expensive though. They did not have one guitar under 2300.00 whereas the other brands covered the spectrum. Martin has less expensive models but there rosewood and finger boards on those models didn't look like they were made with traditional woods.
Over all it was a pleasant visit and very cool that Guild is in the Sam Ash store . The salesman said they might be getting in the USA models soon. One negative note was that the salesman and the luthier at the store did not know that they were making them in the US anymore so I was confused as to why he would say that since he didn't know they are made here. Anyway, I took a few moments to educate them on Guilds history :D
One would think that Guild would be educating the salesman in these stores :?:

kitniyatran

Reaction score
learnintoplay62 said:
... The Martins o.k. in general but they had a sweet ooommv ( GC brand ). The Gibby's sounded fantastic and were beautifully finished. Very expensive though. They did not have one guitar under 2300.00 whereas the other brands covered the spectrum....
A few years ago, when I was shopping, before I bought my D25, I found a GC MMV special for $1100 that was as nice a rosewood guitar as you could ask for, but my Guild was about half the money. If I was looking, I'd definitely consider the MMV's again, I'd probably have bought one, had I not found the Guild!