Bridge Doctor?

samriggle

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am considering installing a bridge Dr. on my 1999 JF30-12. I has some bellying and I am concerned it could increase. I read some pretty good reviews at Steward MacDonald. I puchased the guitar last spring only paid 550.00 for it.
Has anyone had any experiences, good or bad with a bridge doctor? I understand some manufacturers install it the at the factory.

Thanks, Sam :D

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I used it once on an old 12 string Epi I once had. I was using the non-permanent version that uses brass pins rather than drilling any holes.

It works up to a point. I had trouble with the dowel that goes from it to the heel block snapping. Try to push the belly down and tightening the bridge doctor to keep it down, rather on putting all the pressure on the dowel to straighten the bulge. I also found that the same dowel will begin to bow from the pressure (its only a thin stick after all.) So I question its permanence. I no longer have the Epi, so I can't talk about really long term durability.

I know Breedlove uses them as OEM.

samriggle

Reaction score
Thanks Chris,
I ordered the brass pin model, hopefully all will go well, I will use your advise concerning the dowel. I have read where the dowel breaks from too much torque.

Thanks Sam

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I have heard good things about the BD. I have also read that you must keep the guitar properly humidified or the BD can't work properly.
I hope that it works for you. Ber sure to keep us updated on the results that you get.

wileypickett

Reaction score
I use 'em on all my 12-strings (file under "preventive maintenance"). They do everything they claim to do (including improving the sound, on some guitars dramatically so); and they're cheap and easy to install.

Do a search on "bridge doctor" -- this has been discussed at some length here before.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tho' I have never used one myself, I have heard of folks that have had positive experiences.

One thing I have heard that no one has yet mentioned... you don't need to tighten it up to remove all the belly in one go. Tighten a bit... wait a while (days or longer), tighten some more, etc. Sort of like adjusting a truss rod... do it a little at a time! Good luck...

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I've installed three, with the second and third being easier than the first, and they work very well. It's a no-big-deal installation.
I opted to use the MOP inlay to cover the screw head and I like the look. :wink:

*I'll track down a photo if you're interested.

Joe

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Here's a photo of a D15 w/Bridge Doctor at work and out of sight.
All you see is the MOP inlay.

d80iii014.jpg

Ask Bikerdoc about the sound, etc. He's had this guitar for at least a couple of years, I'm sure.
Doc, you there?

Joe

RussB

Reaction score
I while back I bought a beat-up F30-ce. The guitar had a low saddle, and the body was caved in a bit. I went ahead and installed a bridge doctor. What I was not ready for was the dramatic increase in sustain and bass response.

After I got my F-50, I felt it sounded a bit "dead" I went ahead and installed a BD, and sho' 'nuff, bass response increased. The guitar just sounded better with the bridge doctor. That guitar is at Guild now getting refurbished, and the BD will be removed

D35F5010-22003.jpg