Stay away from that Grouper!!

CA-35

Reaction score
Unbelievable footage of a spear fisherman retrieving the fish he has speared when........ uh oh, a 250 pound (maybe bigger) grouper says we'll just see about that. :shock: :shock: :shock:

http://youtu.be/ga_-y26A-QE

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Yikes!! In the Bahamas spear guns are illegal. Only pole spears and Hawaiian slings allowed. I had something like this happen once. Speared a nice Hog Fish with a Hawaiian sling only to have a barracuda swoop in and snatch it away. Amazing how fast that 'cuda moved.

CA-35

Reaction score
evenkeel said:
Yikes!! In the Bahamas spear guns are illegal. Only pole spears and Hawaiian slings allowed. I had something like this happen once. Speared a nice Hog Fish with a Hawaiian sling only to have a barracuda swoop in and snatch it away. Amazing how fast that 'cuda moved.

That's exactly correct evenkeel; No trigger mechanisms in the islands, just old school Hawaiian slings and a lot of skill!!
I've lost my share of fish to Barracuda too, comes with the territory, but well worth it for a nice Hogfish.

hogfish.jpg

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
CA-35 said:
That's exactly correct evenkeel; No trigger mechanisms in the islands, just old school Hawaiian slings and a lot of skill!!

No scuba also. You had to do it all with a mask, snorkel and fins. For those who might not know a Hawaiian sling is essentially a underwater sling shot.

sling_zps8a711256.jpg

I hit a nice grouper once and watched him take the spear into a coral head about 30-35 feet down. I had to go up and down a whole bunch of times before I could get him out. Exhausted by the time that was over with. Worse for the grouper. :wink:

CA-35

Reaction score
evenkeel said:
I hit a nice grouper once and watched him take the spear into a coral head about 30-35 feet down. I had to go up and down a whole bunch of times before I could get him out. Exhausted by the time that was over with. Worse for the grouper. :wink:

Nice! You ended up tired but the grouper ended up dusted with flour and fried in butter and a little oil I'm sure!! :D :D

I've eaten every fish from the sea and I'll take Hogfish over any of 'em. Running a close second is a nice fat Mutton Snapper.

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
First time snorkeling in Jamaica long ago, I ended up face to face with such a grouper. Sure is a great eating fish. For up close and personal, not so much. Like a bulldog with fins.
MD

Ravon

Reaction score
mad dog said:
First time snorkeling in Jamaica long ago, I ended up face to face with such a grouper. Sure is a great eating fish. For up close and personal, not so much. Like a bulldog with fins.
MD
My brothers and I were spearfishing with a local guide in Jamaica in the late '70's. The guide accidently triggered his spear (75 ft. deep scuba) and the barb came within millimeters of shooting my bro's skull! I think all we saw that morning were mostly barracuda