The waiting game

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy who's a FedEx driver and he's told me that the folks at his office are beginning to talk about me hanging out in the parking lot with this strange, glassy-eyed look. 8)

They suspected drugs, but I explained GAS to him and told him I was waiting for a call about a GF25 coming in from New York state. It's scheduled to be in on Thursday, but you never know.... :wink:

He said he'd pass it on, just in case it happens again, and I hope it does! :lol:

Joe

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hang in there Joe! There hasn't been a tracking update since the 21st, but barring a natural disaster I fully expect it to be there Thursday. I packed that baby within an inch of its life, so I fully expect it to arrive sain et sauf, as my Québécois friends would say. The check arrived yesterday, so we're all good. 8)

Thunderface

Reaction score
We know you know how to use this ... :wink:

Pix.jpg

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My new (to me) GF25 has reached the Pacific time zone in Troutdale, OR, just east of Portland. I'm out of town for a month but I will go into town tomorrow to pick it up and bring it out here to the lake.
The F112-6 is out here as well, so we'll see how they get along. :wink:

Joe

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
dapmdave said:
I'm with you, Joe. I have something coming down from New England, also due tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyCa35_mOg

Dave :D

Well, that makes the trifecta! Realizing that Greenie is much too nice to gig with around drunken people, I have this one arriving today from GC's used inventory

399734_4694642649956_1294798785_n.jpg

Knowing that the quality of these is all over the place, I'm hoping this is a good one. If it's not, there's that 30 day return policy... 8)

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
killdeer43 said:
twocorgis said:
Realizing that Greenie is much too nice to gig with around drunken people,
You're not talking about LMGIII, are you? :lol: :lol:

Joe

Well... no.

I'm planning on bringing Greenie with me, as I have a feeling that there's going to be some interested parties up there. Especially in light of the possibility of a GSR Starfire bass on the horizon (wish wish wish wish wish).

learnintoplay62

Reaction score
hang in there joe. You know what they say; waiting makes the heart grow fonder :wink:
Now I have been waiting for my Bobby Nelson for about 1 year now so my heart is just about fonder-ed out 8)
Actually, I have been enjoying the process and it has taught me a thing or two about myself so all is good.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
twocorgis said:
killdeer43 said:
twocorgis said:
Realizing that Greenie is much too nice to gig with around drunken people,
You're not talking about LMGIII, are you? :lol: :lol:

Joe

Well... no.

I'm planning on bringing Greenie with me, as I have a feeling that there's going to be some interested parties up there. Especially in light of the possibility of a GSR Starfire bass on the horizon (wish wish wish wish wish).

That pretty much guarantees the Pilot (or perhaps the B-50) makes the trip to LMG III. A poor little SF I in cherry is just going to be outclassed by a green SF II. To veer, why th JC Sig? Looking for a change or is there something a Pilot doesn't to at a gig?

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
fronobulax said:
twocorgis said:
Well... no.

That pretty much guarantees the Pilot (or perhaps the B-50) makes the trip to LMG III. A poor little SF I in cherry is just going to be outclassed by a green SF II. To veer, why th JC Sig? Looking for a change or is there something a Pilot doesn't to at a gig?

Well, Pilots are solid bodies, and for some of the older songs we do, I'm looking for more of a hollow body thump, which the SFII has in spades now (thanks to Fixit!). The problem is, after all the cosmetic work that Tom did, Greenie is near mint now (I kid you not), and the thought of playing out with it scares the hell out of me! I've always been interested in the Casady signature, and at $488 shipped (with OHSC) from GC's used inventory, I don't have to worry too much about it getting wrecked up.

In retrospect, I probably should have kept the DA Starfire and just waited for a pair of Dark Stars or the like to turn up. I can see why Jeff (bassmyf) doesn't gig out with his Starfires, and instead uses a Dark Starred DA. No chance of me ever getting that one back from him!

Are you going to bring your B50 to LMG? If you do, I might not need to bring mine.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
UPS said:
UPS Brown Bulletin
Severe Weather Causing Delays

Severe weather in Louisville, KY at WorldPort, one of UPS's primary hubs in the US, caused a significant disruption to operations in the U.S. As a result, some shipments may experience unavoidable delays.

The UPS Service Guarantee does not apply when packages are delayed due to causes beyond UPS's control.

Please visit ups.com to track the status of your shipments. Thank you for the business you entrust to UPS.

Fudge! :evil:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
twocorgis said:
fronobulax said:
twocorgis said:
Well... no.

Well, Pilots are solid bodies, and for some of the older songs we do, I'm looking for more of a hollow body thump, which the SFII has in spades now (thanks to Fixit!). The problem is, after all the cosmetic work that Tom did, Greenie is near mint now (I kid you not), and the thought of playing out with it scares the hell out of me! I've always been interested in the Casady signature, and at $488 shipped (with OHSC) from GC's used inventory, I don't have to worry too much about it getting wrecked up.

In retrospect, I probably should have kept the DA Starfire and just waited for a pair of Dark Stars or the like to turn up. I can see why Jeff (bassmyf) doesn't gig out with his Starfires, and instead uses a Dark Starred DA. No chance of me ever getting that one back from him!

Are you going to bring your B50 to LMG? If you do, I might not need to bring mine.

Yeah, Fixit has a way of turning your "player guitar" into a "collector guitar".

That's an excellent price for the JC sig bass. I was looking pretty closely at those, and finding one under about $600 is a challenge. And that usually didn't include a case or a guarantee. But as you said, there's been some QC issues with a lot of these.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
dapmdave said:
twocorgis said:

Yeah, Fixit has a way of turning your "player guitar" into a "collector guitar".

He sure does, doesn't he Dave? I look at Greenie now, and just marvel at what outstanding condition it's in for a 44 year old axe. I was playing it at band practice the other night, and had to go get a dish towel to cover my belt buckle!

dapmdave said:
That's an excellent price for the JC sig bass. I was looking pretty closely at those, and finding one under about $600 is a challenge. And that usually didn't include a case or a guarantee. But as you said, there's been some QC issues with a lot of these.

I was very pleased with the price Dave, and it was listed as "just arrived" at the GC in Saginaw MI. There was one other available for the same price in El Paso TX in a color that I probably would have preferred (Silver Burst), but it didn't have a case, and that's a $129 nut. The store manager in MI even threw me free shipping, and it arrived here in two days. 8)

I just got done setting the bass up with the recommended Dean Markley "Blue Steel" strings (what the man himself uses), and the action is set at the recommended 7/64" bass side, and 5/64" treble side. I found a great tip on Talk Bass to use drill bits as "feeler gauges", and that worked great. I think I have the pickup height dialed in just about right too, but I won't really have a great idea how it sounds until our next practice Sunday. How it sounds through the Hartke Kickback 12 will be the make or break. Greenie sounds like a million bucks with it, with thump up the wazoo, just like Tom promised.

I think I'm going to get along fine with the JC. It has a much chunkier neck profile than the starfire, but it seems to work well on it anyway. Still have 30 days to decide one way or the other, but it's going to be nice to have a semi hollow that I don't have to worry about much.