Great voice and great D55

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have seen/heard her before and I really like her voice (trying to think of who she reminds me of but I'll have to think some more), and the sound she gets from that lovely Guild is very sweet. :wink:

Thanks,
Joe

idealassets

Reaction score
I really like the sound of her D55.

Her voice and lyrics somewhat remind me of early Joni Mitchell, in the sound, and in that the meter of the lyrics is sometimes "double timed" over the melody of the song.

Just the same I like it overall.

,Craig

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Craig, I love her D-55 too, but she doesn't sound anything like Joni Mitchell.... early or otherwise. She just sounds like herself....

idealassets

Reaction score
Craig, I love her D-55 too, but she doesn't sound anything like Joni Mitchell
Tom,
That really just goes to show you how much I actually know about anything at any given time.

I do know that the wine in your glass looks pretty good, somewhat as though I should find some for myself too when I get around to it. Although I can only recall playing any instrument totally straight.

-Craig

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, Craig.... I'm a Joni fan and what's fun about this is .... if you click on the link you get to hear classic, early Joni Mitchell doing one of my all-time fave songs of her's..... The Urge For Going. Have a listen and tell me if you think they sound alike, and even if you disagree with me.... you still got to hear some amazing music, yes? :wink:

http://youtu.be/BmXk5eGvpvk

:D :D

p.s. - that was some mighty fine wine......

idealassets

Reaction score
Tom,
I found this from Joni Mitchell in 1965, a cowboy ballad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp3lJg07u4w&feature=endscreen&NR=1

This was before I ever became interested in her stuff. Check out that typical mid 60's look to her.

As for me I have begun working on adding a few Joni Mitchell songs to what I play. Its an exercise in alt tunings, and even some gender modifications in the lyrics. But seems to be working OK so far.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The D65s is currently in a Joni tuning. One of my faves. And I figured out how to play The Urge For Going in that tuning, even though that was one of the rare songs she wrote in standard tuning. She's got the voice of an angel, Craig. I don't think there's anyone better..... thanks for the link, amigo!! :D

p.s. - which songs of her's do you do?

roughdiamond

Reaction score
the 55 sounds sweet in dadgad...the awaiting rolled number wedged just above the nut might be more intriguing :D

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
Enjoyed that clip LTP....Very nice. I'd like to hear more from her. She has a relaxed style of playing , a fine guitar and a great voice...Yes, I can listen to allot more of that.
Tom, That Joni clip was a beauty. Reminds me that it's been too long since I've played that one. The "Blue' album, still moves my mind in many ways.
My 10 year old daughter Loves Joni Mitchell. Thats one of the things that I am pleased to have passed on to her. Her appreciation of Joni, and her music, will only grow richer as time goes on. Lots of great lessons and life experiences there. That woman is amazing!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
roughdiamond said:
the awaiting rolled number wedged just above the nut might be more intriguing :D

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but isn't it really a thumb-pick? :lol: :lol:

Dave :D

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
dapmdave said:
roughdiamond said:
the awaiting rolled number wedged just above the nut might be more intriguing :D

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but isn't it really a thumb-pick? :lol: :lol:

Dave :D

I was wondering what that was also. It appears to be some kind of black sticky pick holder. Here she has switched to the thumb pick and has her flat pick stored up there. I like the "jazz" chording in the chorus on this one!

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
Yep. Nice sounding guitar and she does remind me of Joni. And one other thing; I STILL can't fingerpick. :(

Peace

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Natasha's guitar sounds so good in the first video, but even though the video portion of this bit is lousey, the guitar still sounds wonderful...what mic (first) and what pickup system (seconod vid) is she using? Still arm wrestling with the K & K I had put into my D55...boomy, even with the K & K eq box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGHRY3rN ... ure=relmfu

Of course, she is probably just a better player than me!

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
OK, been listening to a bunch of her videos, as well as her former group Bering Strait...they were a great country band!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kabc0ONW ... ure=fvwrel

While perhaps not the voice, her carriage and work is very much like that of Mary Chapin Carpenter...listen to some of the lyrics...pretty good for English as a second language.

Where is Guild's A & R man, they need to get her into the stable, what a damn fine artist she is!