Any helpful life tips or shortcuts?

guitarjamman

Reaction score
I like to spend my money and time in this short life doing things I enjoy....as I would suspect most people do. That being said, do you have any little tips or tricks that you have picked up along the way to make the difficult/annoying stuff a little easier?

For example:
clingfilm.jpg

Instead of spending time cleaning/scrubbing your fridge, place clingwrap down and when dirty, just peel and replace. I like to use clear wrap for a more "refined look", but any type will do!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Never date a cop's daughter who has a drinking problem, particularly when her dad is a captain.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Duct tape has saved me hours over the years...

walrus

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
learnintoplay62 said:
Do tell Default :D
Just to clarify, was it the cop who had the drinking problem , the daughter or both :shock:
I was a little unclear as to who had the drinking problem, as well..... :wink:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My mom and dad got all upset for months about something the town did to their lawn. There was no consoling them, and they insisted on making a big deal out of it...

Years later, when retelling this story to a friend, my mother was told by this friend: "It's just f*'ing grass"

That brief exclamation goes a long way as a life tip. My corrollary to that is "the big W." (whatever).

TonyT

Reaction score
I salt and pepper my plate rather than my food. This way you can season each bite to taste, rather than just the top layer.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
davismanLV said:
learnintoplay62 said:
Do tell Default :D
Just to clarify, was it the cop who had the drinking problem , the daughter or both :shock:
I was a little unclear as to who had the drinking problem, as well..... :wink:
Probably both of them, but definitely her. <shudder>

Guild Dawg

Reaction score
Guild Total
If you have a dream, go after it NOW. Don't wait for things to be exactly right. Next week turns into next month into next year. If it's truly your dream, you should be thinking about it and working on it every spare minute. Don't wait for it to come to you or for someone to give it to you.

As for refrigerators, the cling wrap thing was pretty neat. They got stuff specially made now for use in ovens and toaster ovens that serves the same purpose -- just change it out and put down a new liner when the old one gets too greasy and dirty.

So ...

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
A decorative garden tip:

Weeds are a huge problem in any garden. Mulch may seem like a good idea but it's definitely not maintenance free. After many years of laying out a weed blocking mesh, covering it with mulch, and then having to do the same thing every year because weeds took root in the mesh, here's what I did.

I cleaned up the entire mess in the garden. I thinned the garden of some over-whelming plants. I replaced the mesh with visqueen (6mils) (cutting it around the remaining plants) and then covered it all with red lava rock. Naturally you're going to have seedlings fall or get blown into your garden. With Lava rock they don't take root quickly and weeds that do show are easily spotted and easily removed. Now, I suppose you can use any kind of loose stone.

As a biker and on the road a great deal. I always had so much work to do tending a garden that had gotten overgrown, creating an unsightly and unwanted mess while I was on the road. The lava rock covering has been a lifesaver in that regard. The only yard work required upon my return is a bit of mowing and that suits me just fine.

Peace

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great idea, Doc! Not to mention the questionable idea of piling decomposing wood next to your foundation...

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
Oh, and take a look at my new driveway vs the old one.

100_1862.jpg

100_1861.jpg

Vs the old

peacesigns.jpg

Yeah, it cost a bit but it's my home and home prices being what they are I may as well keep things up. Besides, I already told our kids that there isn't going to be anything left when we're gone. Going out like we came in..........broke. :lol:

Peace

griehund

Reaction score
Here's one I learned from my youngest son. Practicing what you can't do slows the learning process. If at first you don't succeed, stop trying and give it another go tomorrow. Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Golly gee, Doc, what a great driveway!! Really dresses the place up. A very nice looking home you have. I've got the guy coming today to go over the tree trimming procedure. Ten palm trees, three fir trees, and two Mulberry trees. Assorted bushes and plants. The pool needs resurfacing and the backyard needs a facelift. The trim on the house needs painting and I've got four more windows to replace..... this is gonna cost me a small fortune. :x

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
davismanLV said:
Golly gee, Doc, what a great driveway!! Really dresses the place up. A very nice looking home you have. I've got the guy coming today to go over the tree trimming procedure. Ten palm trees, three fir trees, and two Mulberry trees. Assorted bushes and plants. The pool needs resurfacing and the backyard needs a facelift. The trim on the house needs painting and I've got four more windows to replace..... this is gonna cost me a small fortune. :x[/quote

Nice that you have that sweet maple in your living room, it needs tending to as well. (When you need a nice distraction) You have a beautiful place too Tom.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Bikerdoc said:
I replaced the mesh with visqueen (6mils) (cutting it around the remaining plants) and then covered it all with red lava rock.
I distinctly recall a buddy telling me years ago visqueen is bad for soil, allows blooming of harmful anaerobic soil bacteria and chokes off beneficial ones involved in humus formation. Also no earthworms.
Showed me a patch of soil next to his fence he was trying to restore with very poor results, he said it was 'cause it had been covered for years.
So it's hearsay but you might want to check it out if it's a concern for you. :wink:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Never trust a guy who says he knows what's better for you than you do.
My grandpappy taught me that one, 'bout politicians.
:lol: