Controls

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
I have a planet waves humidipak in one of my guitars. It's suppose to last 2-4 months. Supposedly when it's finished doing its job the humidpak crystals get hard. Right? The one I bought is real close to being 7 months in the case and no part of the humidipak has become hard. I've monitored the humidity levels in the case and the pak sure seems to be doing the job. Anyone else report positive results from these humidipaks?

In the summer I put my guitars (2 guilds and 2 gibsons) in their cases in the closet. I put the Planet waves acoustic humidifiers (having to address the sponge inserts constantly) in 3 of the cases. I put the "humidipak" in the remaining case and just let it do its thing.

In the winter when the wood burner is going I hang up my guitars in my closed den and bring out the mist bowl. It works great. Soooo, all is seemingly good but I'm always questioning myself. What's your take on it?

Peace

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
If you are keeping an eye on the room humidity and are able to keep it in the 40% to 60% range, the guitars will be fine.
For several years, I used a room humidifier. Each one would last about 1 to 1 1/2 years before dying.
This summer, I quit using a room humidifier and just used the soap dish humidifiers that I made for my guitars and cases.
The humidity in the room ranged from 25% to 60% through the summer.
I have 2 hygrometers that I put inside the guitar cases to monitor the humidity inside the cases.
I rotate them between all of my guitars.
The end result is that the guitars are being kept at a humidity level of between 35% and 45%.
My guitars are doing very well in this range.

In telling you this, I guess that I'm saying that what you are doing should work fine,
as long as you monitor the humidity and don't let it get too low or high.

Ravon

Reaction score
Like TMG says. For me, unless I lived in either a desert or a jungle environment I won't worry too much about it. I prefer the idea that as long as you don't subject your guitar to any abrupt humidity or temperature fluctuations, it should be fine.