Garage guitar

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha FG-335 that's roughly 30 years old. It sits in my garage on a stand for those times I hang out and pick with friends. The other day I brought it in the house, cleaned it all up, and put on some new strings (JP's). Even without the freshening the guitar was absolutely amazing; even more so now. The neck is straight, the action is comfortable, there's no body bowing, and projection is truly out there. By comparison, my J40 Gibson just can't measure up. Of course you can't compare it all to my Guilds.

Any of you have or have had the FG-335? What do ya think?

Peace

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
100_1873.jpg

Those aren't scuff marks but shadows.

100_1874.jpg

My photographic expertise is questionable at best (unlike Killdeer) and this natural finish is bit darker than I was able to show.

100_1875.jpg

100_1876.jpg

In this last pic you'll notice a couple of instruments hanging on the wall above the speakers. The one on the left is another FG-335. The dulcimar in the middle was made by my brother-in-law. The far right guitar is an old Epiphone PR-100VS.

100_1878.jpg

The guitar is suppose to be a laminated spruce top but I've not seen a laminated top as thick as on this guitar.

Thunderface

Reaction score
Looks good. For some reason, seeing FG-335 caused my brain to think semi-hollow electric like a ES-335. But I'm not disappointed seeing that acoustic. Nice looking guitar.

dougdnh

Reaction score
These were great inexpensive guitars. I had one for many years, my daughter still has one.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice guitar! I too had a Yamaha years ago (the late 70's). Long gone, should have kept it...

walrus

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I still have my late-60's red label "Nippon Gakki" Yamaha FG-110 (that's me over there on the left playing it in '73 or '74). It was pretty much unplayable after a botched repair by my local sound reinforcement rental and guitar repair shop some time in the '80's.

It sat around until early this year, when I took it to Pete Brown in Collingswood, NJ, and said "fix it". Bone nut and saddle, frets dressed, new rosewood bridge (the old one had cracked), and I got my guitar back better than new.

She sounds really sweet and mellow, with nice harmonics and overtones, and is the guitar I find easiest to form chord shapes on - probably the result of 40+ years of muscle memory.

samriggle

Reaction score
I have a FG-340 Yamaha purchased it new in 1981. It is about the same size as my F50 Guild. Beautiful sounding old guitar, I still own it.

southernGuild

Reaction score
South of South Sydney, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA
My friend here in Aus. has one of those. He had very old strings on his, and was tired of it's sound. I prompted him to change them , and now he loves that old guitar all over again. A nice guitar all around with a fine sound and build. No wonder they are so well regarded. Yours is a very nice one.

Ravon

Reaction score
I learned alot on an old friends Yamaha many years ago and I thought then that it was a very good guitar. I wonder if Yamaha still makes them as good now?

idealassets

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha FG-335 that's roughly 30 years old
A good friend of mine bought a similar Yamaha dread in 1972, and swares by it yet today. Perhaps I can get a pic of it, with the proud owner.

Meanwhile i bought an Alvarez dread in 1979, that I didn't play very much. Recently I had a bone nut and saddle put on it, and I am amazed at the great sound it puts out.

The Alvarez is the guitar that I use outside in unfavorable temperatures, and it seems it will last forever with the original action to it.

Craig