In praise of Guild OHSCs

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
When I'm home, everything's on hangers and the cases are stowed. Right now, I'm away from home for a month so everyone rests in the comfort of the best cases ever made.

010gs.jpg

(L to R) F112-6, GF25, D4

023joe.jpg

Must protect those babies on the road! :wink:

Joe

tjmangum

Reaction score
Guild cases, in my experience, range from OK to excellent. Not unlike their peers over the years.
T

idealassets

Reaction score
so everyone rests in the comfort of the best cases ever made
Now that you mentioned it, yes I agree about the cases. I also fold up 2 t-shirts to put under each guitar neck in the case.

The only difference is that I always keep my guitars in the case, when not being played. It was what the dealer of my first new Guild explained to me. "Just about when you don't case it, something will happen, where you will wish that you had" he said. For me, I believe the finish and binding do not fade in color quite as fast, if kept in the case. I don't know if the fading is true or not.

Craig

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have been fanatical about returning my Guilds to their cases after being played, and so far so good. The only case i didn't really like was the original one that came with my '76 D-25, it had the thin purple felt lining, that was nasty. I finally replaced the case, of course it did last for 30 years...

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
idealassets said:
...I believe the finish and binding do not fade in color quite as fast, if kept in the case. I don't know if the fading is true or not...
It is, for the most part. Sunlight will "yellow" the clear lacquer finish. The white Ivoroid binding will remain white, but the yellowed lacquer covering it will make it appear discolored. If you can (stand to) keep your guitars in cases when they are not being played, you likely have a much better chance of prolonging their pristine appearance.

Christopher

jcwu

Reaction score
killdeer43 said:
010gs.jpg

(L to R) F112-6, GF25, D4

This picture just reminded me again that for some reason, I prefer the cases where the headstock area is flared. It just looks more... attractive, for some reason.

Qvart

Reaction score
I have all three of mine in cases that are standing straight up wedged into a corner in the little "hallway" of my apartment. One day the rambunctious siamese kitten climbed up on them and somehow managed to push two of them over and they FELL!!!!. Luckily, the Guilds are safe and sound. Now, I wouldn't attribute the gits surviving the tumble unscathed to the fact that they're Guild cases, but they sure have done their job. And mine are definitely staying in their cases - only now there's a slight tilt so they can't topple over away from the wall. :lol:

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
If all my guitars are in cases, I don't play them. Out of sight, out of mind.

So there's now always - ALWAYS a guitar on a stand within easy reach of my favorite chair. My casual playing time has increased 10-fold.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Los Angeles said:
If all my guitars are in cases, I don't play them. Out of sight, out of mind.
We've certainly discussed this topic before, right here on LTG, and that's exactly why mine are on hangers when I'm home. When I walk by I can just hear them crying out, "We're made to be played!" :shock:

Plus, they're visual delights! :wink:

Joe

6L6

Reaction score
This Guild case has carried my '74 D-40 all over the world, including trips to Antarctica. Never any damage to my guitar!

Bill

IMG_1049.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
idealassets said:
... I always keep my guitars in the case, when not being played. It was what the dealer of my first new Guild explained to me. "Just about when you don't case it, something will happen, where you will wish that you had" he said. For me, I believe the finish and binding do not fade in color quite as fast, if kept in the case. I don't know if the fading is true or not.
Craig
Me too. As for aging effect on color, it's due more to sunlight (UV) exposure than anything else, and they get darker not lighter. (Or at least natural tops do). The D25 is a beautiful light honey colored amber now, after literally about 1000 hours of outdoor playing, even though most of it was in tree shade, but the D40 and F65 which have only ever even been out of the house about 3 times each and which only have a little over a couple hundred hours of playtime each, indoors although in sunny rooms when played in daytime, look as light as new, I can't discern any aging coloration at all. The D25 literally looks like the old amber color finish when next to 'em, but it's an NT.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Not to take anything from Guild, their cases are good cases, but you guys need to check out a Santa Cruz case sometime. Like Scratch says, "I'd like to be buried in something as nice". Let's hope no time soon Ken :shock: .

West

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
West R Lee said:
Not to take anything from Guild, their cases are good cases, but you guys need to check out a Santa Cruz case sometime. Like Scratch says, "I'd like to be buried in something as nice". Let's hope no time soon Ken :shock: .

West
You know, Ken just might fit, especially if it's a jumbo case! :lol: :wink:

Love ya', Ken!

Joe