ArtPrize entry

Ravon

Reaction score
That was really cool 8) As a kid we made those using paperbags, popsicle sticks, strings and candles. I remember my attempts at one failed but my older brothers friends always got at least one or two to successfully launch. Thinking back, it's a wonder we didn't burn the whole town down with our UFO's!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That was excellent! What a great idea, with a beautiful result!

As Ravon alluded to, one of the coolest things is that it is even allowed to happen, since it sure seems like a potential fire hazard. I'm in a "nanny" state where there are towns that have banned the sale of bottled water and "super" size sodas, fireworks are illegal, and even eating snack foods is considered close to a crime - the fact that a great event like this can happen is outstanding!

walrus

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Fortunately we live in a pretty wet state; the fire hazard was low that day.

poser

Reaction score
Very impressive. The image about halfway through with all of the "floats" reminded me of some night time photos of phosphorescent plankton in the ocean.

Many years ago I watched some people make a similar device using a plastic bag from a dry cleaners, plastic straws and a birthday candle. There is something magical about watching even just one of those lights drift up and out of sight in the night sky. Watching hundreds, even in a video, is extraordinary. Wish I had been there.

Ravon

Reaction score
poser said:
Very impressive. The image about halfway through with all of the "floats" reminded me of some night time photos of phosphorescent plankton in the ocean.

Many years ago I watched some people make a similar device using a plastic bag from a dry cleaners, plastic straws and a birthday candle. There is something magical about watching even just one of those lights drift up and out of sight in the night sky. Watching hundreds, even in a video, is extraordinary. Wish I had been there.
I remember now, we used PLASTIC bags and not paper. Gosh that was a long time ago... 45 + yrs. maybe?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My Navy buddy from Iowa used to make "brains" around the campfire on cool still nights. You take a single sheet of newspaper (2 pages wide) and bring the four corners together, twist them together and make sure the newspaper is puffed out like a balloon. Set on top of campfire and hold in pace with a small stick until it is engulfed, then take away the stick and let 'er fly. The heat from the fire will help take the "brain" high into the night sky and it twinkles as the paper turns to ash. Note: not a great idea in dry areas that could catch fire.