Somebody tell me the worst part is over

Status
Not open for further replies.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats, Tony. It's gonna be rough for a while, but you've made it one week. STAY STRONG!! Weeks turn to months, and months to years and it'll all be a bad memory. It's a good thing to get that monkey off your back. I'd love to say the worst is over but.... you'll experience times that the craving is strong. But each day gets a little better. 8)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Good luck, Tony! You will feel much better soon!

walrus

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hang in there! It'll start getting easier soon.

Dave (ex-smoker) :D

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
Been there, done that, no T-shirt, but I can tell you that the worst really is over. There will still be bad times but you will notice them getting shorter in duration, less frequent, less intense, and easier to deal with. Hang in there; you certainly don't want to have to do the worst part again at some point down the road.

Stay strang,

' Strong

CA-35

Reaction score
The first cut is the deepest Tony!! The first 3 weeks are torture but stay strong my friend. October 1st I celebrated 3 years clean. Stay away from alcohol for at least the first month. Toothpicks worked wonders for me to take away the preoccupation I missed from having something between my fingers or my lips.

Stay strong.....just think 7 days x 20 cigs/day equals 140 cancer sticks you HAVE NOT smoked. One pack per day x 30 days equals $180.00 you can now save and in just a few short months.....guess what? NEW GUILD!!!!!!

YOU CAN AND WILL DO IT!!!!! Mind over matter!!!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes the worst part is over: you're not smoking any more! :D Congratulations!

I'm coming up on 15 years, best thing I ever did for myself. 15 years X 365 days X 30 cigarrettes a day = almost 165,000 times I have not lit up a cigarrette!

In today's dollars that's almost $54,000. I should have money just falling out of my pockets! :lol:

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
I saved the $$$ that I wasn't spending on ciggies any more and used that to finance my fanciest Guilds. Pretty nice reward.

tjmangum

Reaction score
Great job!. I'm going on 9 years. Keep a special reward in mind. When I quit I was into watches and after going a couple of months made a deal with myself. I would buy a watch I had been yearning for, but if I smoked anytime in 3 years, I would have to sell the watch to my brother for $1!
There were many temptations but the watch was on my wrist to remind me..... and like hell was I gonna give the watch to my brother. :lol:
You can do It!

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
TonyT said:
Haven't smoked for 1 week today.

6 weeks is the real mark. Hang in there.

I went to a hypnotist and followed their instructions to a T. Best $200 I ever spent.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hang in there Tony. I passed the ten year mark back in June, and it's easily the most worthwhile thing you'll ever do. I had tried to quit and failed at least a dozen time prior, and what put me over the to this time was thinking of myself as a non-smoker right away, and realizing that even one puff would destroy that vision.

Well, that and watching a good friend die of lung cancer, and being determined not to go that way. Best wishes!

mad dog

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Tony:

As others mention, it really is a 3 week process. But that first week is by far the toughest. The cravings diminish pretty rapidly after that, though it's awhile before they lose their power to blindside you. As every day goes by, you just think less about it, and you body finds other physical actions with which to occupy itself.

You're fighting the good fight. Keep going ... it gets easier from here on in.
MD

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
I don't remember when the worst part was over, but I can tell you that the environment you expose yourself to will make all the difference in the world; i.e., just hangin' out with the guys, tippin' a few, watchin' football. Those times will be your weakest moments but hang tough. Ya know what I mean. It does get better Toni. It really does.

Peace

Steelpickin'

Reaction score
Good for you,Tony!
After 8 days the nicotine is out of your system...after that....its all in your head!
so...what I did was...no beer..no coffee....no friends that smoke for a while.
no anythng that I associated smokeing with. The urges will slowly go away.
they WILL be around for a long time but, will become less ans less and MUCH EASIER TO IGNORE!
Hang in there my friend. The worst is over. I gave them up almost 15 yrs ago!!
You Will to! 8)

Larry

kitniyatran

Reaction score
Congratulations. 'bout all I can remember is try to avoid the temptations, and eventually smoke will stink instead of enticing.

Status
Not open for further replies.