Guild content in Guitar Aficionado magazine

Thunderface

Reaction score
The current issue of Guitar Aficionado magazine has lots of interested stuff, including a guitar humidor for $1,500, but there's also a story on Jakob Dylan's guitar collection that includes a 1959 Aristocrat M-75 ...

IMAG6275.jpg

IMAG6276.jpg

... and an article by Flip Scipio about repairing Rick Danko's Treasured Guild F50, that includes this shout out from the editor ... "You can find a color picture of this guitar on page 104 of the indispensible The Guild Guitar Book by Hans Moust."

Treem

Reaction score
Guild Total
Great articles on Guitar Aficionado!

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thunderface said:
Nice to see them talk about Aristocrats but Keith did not play a M-75 Aristocrat on the Ed Sullivan show but his "after it left the factory" modified M-65 Freshman (two pickups, two more knobs and master volume added).

Keith however owns indeed an Aristocrat, as Hans wrote on page 7 of his book, but that was only in 1990. (see below)

1684447751398.png

Ralf

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
THANK YOU for the accuracy update, Ralf. Too bad it couldn't have made it into the article.
Maybe, just maybe, a note to the editors and a "correction" in a later issue will be appreciated by enough readers to be worthwhile?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
adorshki said:
THANK YOU for the accuracy update, Ralf. Too bad it couldn't have made it into the article.
Maybe, just maybe, a note to the editors and a "correction" in a later issue will be appreciated by enough readers to be worthwhile?
I don't think it matters so much, any advertisement for Guild, and especially with Keith Richards, is good! It might drive the prices up even more now, that's good and bad at the same time, depending from which side to look (owner or buyer). The magazin only wrote what Jakob Dylan told them, so that's o.k. Most people cannot see the difference between an Aristocrat and those modified Freshmans Keith played (best visible is however the dot markers on the Freshman versus the block markers on the Aristocrat fretboard).
I really don't know, and I guess only Keith or his guitar tech knows, how many Aristocrats and Freshmans Keith has or had in his very huge guitar collection. I saw comments somewhere else, that he has quite a lot of both models. Hans might have some info, but again, it doesn't matter to much. I did not find the video from the early 90ties Hans talked about on page 7 of the Bible. I would be interested to see it, but don't know how to search for it, all possible searches I did returned not the right results so far and I did not see Keith playing a Aristocrat yet. I saw both modified Freshmans he had in various videos and pictures only. So if one of you knows that video or song with the Aristocrat, let us know.
Ralf

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
SFIV1967 said:
adorshki said:
I don't think it matters so much, any advertisement for Guild, and especially with Keith Richards, is good! It might drive the prices up even more now, that's good and bad at the same time, depending from which side to look (owner or buyer). The magazin only wrote what Jakob Dylan told them, so that's o.k. Most people cannot see the difference between an Aristocrat and those modified Freshmans Keith played (best visible is however the dot markers on the Freshman versus the block markers on the Aristocrat fretboard only.
Right, I suspected that Jakob probably was unaware of those details, nothing wrong with that. I only thought there may be people in the magazines' readership who would be interested in those fine points even if it was just an editor's update as some magazines feature.

littlesongs

Reaction score
SFIV1967 said:
So if one of you knows that video or song with the Aristocrat, let us know.
Ralf

The Rolling Stones song is called, "Sex Drive" - and they do all they can to distract you from Keef's Aristocrat in the video.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
littlesongs said:
The Rolling Stones song is called, "Sex Drive" - and they do all they can to distract you from Keef's Aristrocrat in the video.
EXCELLENT! Thanks so much for finding this! That is a lovely early 1956 (?) Aristocrat with the simple plain G headstock! It's the first time I see Keef with an Aristocrat! It perfectly complements Hans' info on page 7 of the Bible.
Ralf

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And here are two screen prints of Keef from the 1990 video with this 1955 or early 1956 (?) Aristocrat. (The plain G headstock according to Hans started 1955-56, but the pickguard is still the old 1955 style).

1684447860476.png 1684447882765.png

Ralf

Last edited: