WSJ and online lessons

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Brad Little said:

Thanks. I had meant to post that.

For those who don't follow links it is an article discussing the impact of online teaching on face to face teaching and uses guitar lessons for many of the illustrations.

Two points I thought were interesting. First, students of a certain generation seem to do better in an online course/class if they can use their standard social networking tools to interact with fellow students. Second, it seems likely that face to face teachers will start taking on the role of coach and motivator and not just that of a dispenser of knowledge.

Personally I have looked at online lessons and resources to answer a specific question ("How do I...") but I would go with a face to face teacher if I were going to pay for lessons. There is nothing quite like paying for a lesson, showing up unprepared and suffering a mildly disdainful look for the duration of the lesson. Motivates me to practice, anyway :)

CA-35

Reaction score
fronobulax said:
For those who don't follow links it is an article discussing the impact of online teaching on face to face teaching and uses guitar lessons for many of the illustrations.
Two points I thought were interesting. First, students of a certain generation seem to do better in an online course/class if they can use their standard social networking tools to interact with fellow students. Second, it seems likely that face to face teachers will start taking on the role of coach and motivator and not just that of a dispenser of knowledge.
Personally I have looked at online lessons and resources to answer a specific question ("How do I...") but I would go with a face to face teacher if I were going to pay for lessons. There is nothing quite like paying for a lesson, showing up unprepared and suffering a mildly disdainful look for the duration of the lesson. Motivates me to practice, anyway :)

As to your first point you are spot on, again. We are old farts Frono, and the "new" generation is growing up with the electronic world of tablets and i-phones. I still prefer my At A Glance monthly Day-Timer that I can scribble in. Yes, I have a smart phone but that doesn't mean I'm a smart guy. Secondly, your point on teachers taking on a new role of coach and motivator; I can remember my 6th grade teacher being just that, and several grades after that other teachers filling that role, so I don't necessarily agree that it is a new trend, I think they've been doing it for years, at least I hope so. I'm with you on the face to face lessons. Nothing like a quick slap to the back of your head for not paying attention!! :D :D

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
CA-35 said:
fronobulax said:
For those who don't follow links it is an article discussing the impact of online teaching on face to face teaching and uses guitar lessons for many of the illustrations.Two points I thought were interesting. First, students of a certain generation seem to do better in an online course/class if they can use their standard social networking tools to interact with fellow students. Second, it seems likely that face to face teachers will start taking on the role of coach and motivator and not just that of a dispenser of knowledge.
When I saw that it made me realize all my favorite teachers already understood that part of their role. The ones whose classes you fell asleep in, didn't. :lol:
fronobulax said:

As to your first point you are spot on, again. We are old farts Frono, and the "new" generation is growing up with the electronic world of tablets and i-phones. I still prefer my At A Glance monthly Day-Timer that I can scribble in. Yes, I have a smart phone but that doesn't mean I'm a smart guy.
I sell paper, and that whole issue of paperless communication is a BIG topic of investigation for paper manufacturers. What's interesting is that it's been shown that information received from a screen is processed, stored, and recalled differently than information received from a printed page. Also, with a live person you can ask questions immediately as they occur instead of having to type them out and wait for response, which creates a kind of psychic disconnect between question and answer, and also influences how that info is stored and recalled.
In terms of sheer practicality I keep a scheduling calendar posted on the wall next to my desk, because it's infinitely faster to simply turn and look at it than it is to go to a scheduling program. Not to mention the issues related to "scrolling" on a limited screen that also tend to create fragmentary information input and comprehension.
"Psychodynamics" have fascinated me since I was a kid. What I actually fear is that the technology is fostering a generation of fragmentary thinkers who will be "lost" without the technology..
I had a similar hypothesis about TV commercials programming people to think in 10 minute intervals before automaticaly "interrupting themselves". :x
It all started when I realized that whenever my buddy and I would jam, back in high school, we'd naturally do 20 minute sessions. About the length of the side of an lp. Gosh, who'da thunk? :lol: