Bluegrass is Just Not My Cup-O-Tea. However...

6L6

Reaction score
My wife and I just got back from a wonderful week in Asheville, NC. Toured the Biltmore (fabulous!), drove the Blue Ridge Parkway, and just had a blast. Truly one of the prettiest spots on earth!

Our first day there we went downtown and found a huge crafts fair going on at the Civic Center. We walked around and then I heard some live music coming from downstairs. I checked it out and there was a Bluegrass band named "Bear Down Easy" playing their hearts out.

I've never been much of a fan of Bluegrass (trying not to offend anyone here...), but these guys were SO GOOD they could probably convert my way of thinking!!! You members who live around Asheville no doubt know about these guys because they were just sensational! All were extremely adept on their instruments and their vocal harmonies were just OFF THE CHARTS! Note that all instruments were mic'd.

If I owned a record company I would have signed them on the spot. Snapped this photo with my iPhone4S:

IMG_1214.jpg

If you're in the area, find out where these guys are playing and don't miss them!

Bill

'06 D-55
'76 F-50SB
'74 D-40

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, that's how it starts.

You are a victim of drive-by Bluegrassing.

In my case, I was pulling into a parking spot at a Lowe's, the these guys were on WXPN, playing this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Z2xXshyj4

I listened, slack-jawed, alternately enthralled by the skill displayed, and pissed at the knowledge that I may never get there.

Now I've got everything they've released on CD.

You are doomed.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Bluegrass is great. It's the other rock & roll.

Dave :D

CA-35

Reaction score

CA-35

Reaction score
killdeer43 said:
davismanLV said:
That's really nice, Scottie. Really nice...... thanks.
I mean it's only Alison Krauss and Union Station!
Lordy, don't get me started....I'm trying to wind down! :wink: Joe

Well you wanna fish or cut bait??

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
CA-35 said:
killdeer43 said:
davismanLV said:
That's really nice, Scottie. Really nice...... thanks.
I mean it's only Alison Krauss and Union Station!
Lordy, don't get me started....I'm trying to wind down! :wink: Joe

Well you wanna fish or cut bait??
Oh I'm fishin'!
Longtime Bluegrass fisherman, in fact. I always have a line in the water. :D

Joe

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
A banjo picker taught me to play guitar so I could play rythmn for him. Been hooked on Beergrass ever since........err...I mean bluegrass.

Peace

kitniyatran

Reaction score
For what it's worth, most of these are good intros for those who think they don't like BG, as they(esp. Yonder Mountain) are at or near the outer pop fringes of BG, rather than mainstream. Punch Brothers are a bit more BG mainstream than Yonder, AKUS more toward the modern country end of BG. Hayseed Dixie includes two sons of BG legend Don Reno, & are one of the best Rock/Metal bands out there(wayout/farout there!, as we said in the sixties). Gotta luvem!

spiderman

Reaction score
And to continue on in the traditional veering, this is some of the more far out bluegrass with Chris Thiele, mandolin guy from Punch Bros., Yo-Yo Ma and company from the Goat Rodeo Sessions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIVrCZ5s ... ure=relmfu
And even more out of the mainstream, Gangstagrass
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Gan ... FORM=VIRE7
And we now return to our regular programming, except the banjo player is playing guitar
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Fla ... A9&first=0

Harmony H-173 bought in 1960 (retired), Alvarez AC60S 2008, Eastman AC320ce 2009 "Hybrid", Guild D25M 1974, Martin Grand J35E 2009, Martin D12-20 1970, Martin OM-21 2009, Martin 00-15M Custom (full body gloss, wide neck) 2011, Martin 00-15M Custom (12 fret, wide neck, solid peghead) 2012, Voyage-air VAOM-06 2010
"I'm glad there are a lot of guitar players pursuing technique as diligently as they possibly can, because it leaves this whole other area open to people like me."
Richard Thompson
p

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Many people that are not fans of Bluegrass music, associate Bluegrass with Bill Monroe and Ralph Stanley.
These guys invented Bluegrass along with the likes of Flat and Scruggs and several others.
The vocals were very high and almost over the edge. I wasn't a fan of that sound.
Now move Bluegrass forward several decades and you have modern Bluegrass or Newgrass.
This sound is what I like.
Bands like Newgrass Revival, AK&US, Blue Highway, Hot Rise, Tony Rice and many more have taken what was Bluegrass and
made it more Modern.
If you don't think that you like Bluegrass, try Newgrass.

Jeff

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Somewhere around my place, in a box of vintage reel to reel tapes, left over from the days of my TEAC reel to reel is a copy of "Old & In the Way" . David Grissman & Jerry Garcia; the Newgrassing of Bluegrass has been underway for some time.

Panama Red one of my favorite tunes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp2WjnFmNdE

220px-Old_and_in_the_Way.jpg